Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post

I remember one guy posting once a screenshot of his desktop on some forums and asking for help if anyone could find his school project, lol
    lol

how many icons did he have?

My Start > Programmes has a very long list and always has done. I use it to store everything as I only tend to use the Desktop or Quick launch.

It's always caturday! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    the whole desktop was covered with icons and it was something around 1024x768 which was pretty much for that time (i used 800x600). of course, surely he was just joking, but iirc the thread was about how way too clean some people keep there xp's, without any useless icons, without even the background picture. So the guy showed how a desktop should look like, lol

oh, you guys remember some other movie on youtube when a guy uses the win's desktop assistance mode where someone else can take over your PC and do whatever he wants?
    well, he requested his assistant to help him with something (can't remember what it was) and the other guy totally "broke" all his desktops icons, lol, hilarious that one was, if I could only remember how was it called..

Dangerous Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember when I first got a Windows PC.
    I wondered where 'Ram Disk', 'System' and 'Work' were

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember really missing the Ram disk when I first used Windows as well. Obviously if thinking about it logically you don't need a ram disk when you have a large HDD sitting there, although it can still be of use I suppose.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I remember really missing the Ram disk when I first used Windows as well. Obviously if thinking about it logically you don't need a ram disk when you have a large HDD sitting there, although it can still be of use I suppose.
    What got me when I first used a PC was, the drive letters!?!
    I was used to DF0: and DH0:, not A: and C:

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Also the fact that Windows is still restricted to just 26 lettered devices and you cannot change the name of them. On the Amiga you didn't have to called the HD DH0:, you could just as easily call it GC0: if you so wished.

Some might argue that you won't ever need 26 devices at any one time. However consider if you had 4 drives in your system, each with a couple of partitions. That instantly uses up 8 of them. Then A and B are reserved for floppy drives so are lost. And if you connected a multi card ready you could lose up to another 4. That is 14 of the 26 already used up leaving just 12. You can then map some network drives that use up even more letters, and what about plugging an MP3 player, USB stick, camera or external HDD in. Each using letters up. I could easily use them all up if I tried.

The PC does still have some restrictions that date back to its origins and only still exist for legacy compatibility. Linux doesn't use such restrictions on device naming, so why can't Windows be updated for a better system?
    Last edited by Harrison; 19th June 2009 at 06:58.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some might argue that you won't ever need 26 devices at any one time. However consider if you had 4 drives in your system, each with a couple of partitions. That instantly uses up 8 of them. Then A and B are reserved for floppy drives so are lost. And if you connected a multi card ready you could lose up to another 4. That is 14 of the 26 already used up leaving just 12. You can then map some network drives that use up even more letters, and what about plugging an MP3 player, USB stick, camera or external HDD in. Each using letters up. I could easily use them all up if I tried.
    My main PC is using all the drive letters possible!

A: and B: are lost
    C: & D: - partitions on the first hard drive
    E: & F: - partitions on the second hard drive
    G: - DVD-RW drive
    H: - K: - internal card reader
    K: - card reader in my printer!
    L: - external USB hard drive
    M: - MP3 player
    N: - Z: - mapped network drives!

OH MY GOD!
    Whenever I open 'Windows Explorer' or 'My Computer', it's a complete mess!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I could have done with a RAM disk the other day and started to wonder 'why doesn't Windows have a RAM disk?'

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For what?

And you can get third party utilities to setup and run a ram disk from Windows. Take a look at http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=131 for an interesting guide.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    For what?

And you can get third party utilities to setup and run a ram disk from Windows. Take a look at http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=131 for an interesting guide.
    Playing a large video file off a USB digital camera without copying it to the hard drive.