Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CV

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads

CV

I have to make a CV as I am going to apply for a job.

I havn't finished it yet - I still have a bit to write about myself, but I was wondering what everyone thinks about the layout of it.

http://www.stevecoates.net/CVw.rtf

Any suggestions?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reads OK but it is a bit squashed up together and would look much better with some spaces between each section. Also make sure you put you personal details before the education. CVs are fine on 2 pages.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Indeed, it looks good, but you should use more spacing.

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is there anything you could add under the Key Skills Level 2 bullet points?

As Harrison said, you should add some space between each item and it may fit better on two pages. If you do go to two pages, remember to add page numbers in the footer.

On Word 2004 for Mac it looks like the descriptive paragraphs aren't aligned with the bullet point text. I would line up those (i.e. set a tabs for the Body Text Indent style at 1.27cm and give the paragraph a hanging indent also of 1.27cm), so that 'This' starts at the same position as 'BTEC'.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Cortona View Post
    Is there anything you could add under the Key Skills Level 2 bullet points?
    Well, I could say that it gave me experience of making a leaflet, writing a letter and short presentation. And that the working with others gave me experience of analysing the process of doing one-to-one and group activities .

I have lined the paragraphs up with the course titles and put some more spaces in. Looks better now.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have updated my CV and made it look a bit better having followed a few tips found on websites.

What do you all think? http://www.stevecoates.net/CVw180410.doc

I wasn't sure about whether to have the bullet points lined up with everything else or not.

I think it looks pretty good. n.b. It was made in Word 2000 on Windows 7 () and doesn't seem to render properly in OpenOffice.org.

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the problem is usually Office 2000. I've had stiff done in Word 2000 that never showed up properly formatted on anything else.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's a decent CV, having the contact details at the top, centred is nice and clear - I like that, the formatting and division of sections is good too, nice and clear.

However:

The text in your BTEC and NVQ section is still a little squashed.

ALWAYS put at least two references on there, make it as easy as possible for the reader. Any excuse can be used to disregard a CV, and the 'effort' of having to request references from you may well be enough for them to pick another CV out of the pile, particularly if they have a big pile of them. This may mean you have to do a 2 page CV but that is fine, it will also allow you to space your text a little more. Ideally have one reference from an education background and one from a previous job if possible.

Have you considered the covering letter? You MUST ALWAYS do a covering letter if this is for a serious career job.

If you are submitting electronically, consider doing it by PDF as well as .doc, just in case formatting goes awry (it often does with word).

'Grade: Distinction Distinction' is that a typo or are you referring to two asssessed components? it doesn't scan too well.

'competant' typo

Other things are maybe you should consider spicing up your language a bit more, as some of it sounds a little too passive. Instead of, for example, 'Kept the sales floor tidy. Assisted with customer's enquiries' you could try a something a little more dynamic.... let me think.... 'Responded to customer queries, assisted fellow staff and learned how to resolve problems encountered in a retail environment, as well as maintaining the quality appearance of the shopfloor'

This might also lead an interviewer to ask you about a problem you encountered and how you dealt with it - obviously you will have pre-prepared a response to this to show yourself in the best possible light, which is what this is all about. Remember your CV is effectively a sales pitch. Make yourself sound as good as possible, emphasise your strengths, but of course never lie.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    ALWAYS put at least two references on there, make it as easy as possible for the reader. Any excuse can be used to disregard a CV, and the 'effort' of having to request references from you may well be enough for them to pick another CV out of the pile, particularly if they have a big pile of them.
    Interesting. I have been advised in the past to not put references on a CV, but I can see why it would make things easier for the employer.

Have you considered the covering letter? You MUST ALWAYS do a covering letter if this is for a serious career job.
    Not yet, as this would have to be unique to the job being applied for. I am really just trying to get the CV looking/reading good at the moment as I needed one to give to the signing on job centre this morning. As it is computer based it can easily be modified for certain jobs.

If you are submitting electronically, consider doing it by PDF as well as .doc, just in case formatting goes awry (it often does with word).
    Very true. One of the reasons I am very reluctant to either accept or send any communication via the internet with people who may not know what they are doing. Although having said that, I asked for some feedback on some work from my old college teacher, who is very good at using Microsoft Office, and it arrived as a 'DOCX'. Fortunately OOo rendered it fine. I noticed a big increase in the amount of DOCX and similar files, as well as an increase in the use of Calibri since college changed to Office 2007 .

'Grade: Distinction Distinction' is that a typo or are you referring to two asssessed components? it doesn't scan too well.
    Nope, that is the grade I got. On a National Certificate you get two grades which will be a combination of passes, merits and/or distinctions. DD is the highest possible .

Other things are maybe you should consider spicing up your language a bit more, as some of it sounds a little too passive. Instead of, for example, 'Kept the sales floor tidy. Assisted with customer's enquiries' you could try a something a little more dynamic.... let me think.... 'Responded to customer queries, assisted fellow staff and learned how to resolve problems encountered in a retail environment, as well as maintaining the quality appearance of the shopfloor'
    Has someone been training you on how to write CVs?
    I'm not sure if there is a name that anyone else uses, but I'd say that your idea just borders on what I tend to describe as 'CV crap'.

It would probably be OK to say something like that if I was there longer, but I was only there for three days, and all I genuinly did was tidy the stock, and tell customers where the downstairs escalator is. Why they don't put a sign up, I don't know. When I was a customer there for the first time a few years ago, I couldn't find it and almost had to walk down the upstairs escalator.

Hmm, it was quite a long time since I disected someone's post like this.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Coates View Post
    Interesting. I have been advised in the past to not put references on a CV, but I can see why it would make things easier for the employer.
    I'll be frank, I'd bin a CV that didn't have any references already detailed on it.

Not yet, as this would have to be unique to the job being applied for.
    Absolutely right, the covering letter is a real chance to flesh out the parts of the CV that make you shine (if you have any).

I am really just trying to get the CV looking/reading good at the moment as I needed one to give to the signing on job centre this morning.
    Oh. Maybe I shan't bother to continue, if it isn't for a 'reason'.... But I know you can do better.

Nope, that is the grade I got. On a National Certificate you get two grades which will be a combination of passes, merits and/or distinctions. DD is the highest possible .
    I'm not familiar with those qualifications, so I've not heard that before, and I'm 29 so not that old, possibly it needs re-inforcing as someone older than I might be even less aware that this is a real high point of your CV (well done BTW) and you should really emphasise that this is a very good thing you have achieved.

Has someone been training you on how to write CVs?
    I'm not sure if there is a name that anyone else uses, but I'd say that your idea just borders on what I tend to describe as 'CV crap'.

It would probably be OK to say something like that if I was there longer, but I was only there for three days, and all I genuinly did was tidy the stock, and tell customers where the downstairs escalator is. Why they don't put a sign up, I don't know. When I was a customer there for the first time a few years ago, I couldn't find it and almost had to walk down the upstairs escalator.
    I had to do mine not so long ago, and someone at work (a section director with almost a whole alphabet after his name) helped me re-write it and he pushed me to also overcome my reluctance to be more forthcoming in my CV.

While what I put in there is definitely on the ****y side of CV lingo (and it was lashed with hyperbole so meant to be taken with a pinch of humour) you are right to steer away from trying to be too flashy... But remember, bosses -especially in retail- are often absolute tosspieces and really buy into that ad-speak style crap.

Regardless, My point still stands though that the language you used in those job descriptions may be accurate; but it comes across as complete disinterest in those jobs. Everyone knows that temp-retail jobs are shite, but you can't let on in a CV! Be more positive!

You have to use a CV to sell yourself, make them want to interview you. Try not to give them any reason to file your application under 'B'

Hmm, it was quite a long time since I disected someone's post like this.
    If by that you mean thank you, then you're welcome.
    Last edited by J T; 20th April 2010 at 09:18.