Thread: Changing ISPs

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Changing ISPs

After six years with Vispa I'm on the verge of changing my ISP to Be. So begins the fun of changing all the email addresses I've registered with online shops and accounts. (Only now do I realise the advantages of webmail accounts!)

Anyone want to share their ISP changing experiences?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Having a registered domain removed the need to rely on any ISP based email address. Especially if the domain is registered with a hosting company that is different to your ISP. Therefore I only have to rely on my ISP for the connection and nothing else.

I'm still with Freeola and have been since getting broadband many years ago. They are more expensive than many others but have no restrictions and quite a high peek time cap before you get charged extra for overuse per GB.

It will be interesting to know how well your move to Be goes as I've been wanting to move to their ADSL2+ 24Mbit connection for a while now.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    One of the reasons for moving is that Vispa aren't as good value as they were a few years ago. I'm still on a 2Mb contract that costs way more than 8Mb ADSL Max. And speeds have suffered noticeably over the last few months.

I was checking out possible ISPs on SamKnows and noticed that Be's ADSL2+ products were available in my town on their LLU network. Thought that was an opportunity too good to miss! I could get their 24Mbps for less than I'm paying now for 2Mb, but I'm a cheapskate so I'm going for the Be Value 8Mb deal. Still, upload speeds are "upto 1.3Mb", which is a damn site faster than mine are now. And best of all, they don't do no sneaky traffic shaping.

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Finally

I have finally migrated to my new ISP - Be Unlimited. I was without a phone line for the weekend because BT cut me off when they switched me over, but I'm now up and running on Be. So far so good.

My upload speed is only at 730Kbps at moment, not quite the 1.3Mbps they advertise. But I don't do much online gaming anyway. Download speed is about 7Mbps. It should be around 8, but maybe there is some contention.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Your upload and download speeds will never be the maximum that state sue to your distance from the exchange and the quality of your line. Still, 7Mbits down and 730Kbits up is pretty good. If you belong to any private trackers seeding won't be a problem as you can seed at over 90KB/s to build ratio.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!