Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Notebook brands

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You should be able to. It is still a full version, just preinstalled at the factory. You should still have a product key for it.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep, there's a product key underneath the laptop. What are the prices of upgrade packs? The best would be to get one in the UK, because I need an english version, and also it's still cheaper because of the low £.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    To upgrade an existing copy of Vista to a different version you have to use the Windows Anytime Upgrade feature built into the OS.

Details of the upgrades are available here. And according to that page it costs £112.03

There is also an FAQ page here. And a 32bit to 64bit FAQ here.

However, if you own a 32bit copy of Vista you are entitled to a 64bit copy of the same version of Vista. Only Ultimate comes with both versions in the box though so you have to order the 64bit version of Premium if you wanted to stick with that one. Go to this link and it gives details on how to order a 64bit DVD using the product key you already have for Vista.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the links, only question is, do I really need to upgrade Premium to Ultimate? What do I get more? It's still 112£.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've added a bit more info to my last post. Have a look at the last link which takes you to a page to get a free copy of the 64 bit version of Vista Premium. You just have to pay for the shipping costs.

It isn't really worth upgrading from Premium to Ultimate for general use and gaming. Ultimate combines the features of Premium and Business editions, so if you don't need the business parts it won't be any different to the one you already have. All you really get extra is remote desktop, system backup, bitlocker drive encryption and a couple of other things. If you needed to use VPN then Ultimate is also recommended.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hm, I will use VPN, but I have original software for that. But thanks for the other link, I'll do that, if it's only the shipping costs.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    However, if you own a 32bit copy of Vista you are entitled to a 64bit copy of the same version of Vista. Only Ultimate comes with both versions in the box though so you have to order the 64bit version of Premium if you wanted to stick with that one. Go to this link and it gives details on how to order a 64bit DVD using the product key you already have for Vista.
    If I try with my serial I get following message:

We're sorry, the following error(s) have occurred:
    No Offer Found

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've not seen that message myself. However I just did a quick google search and found others saying they are having the same message after entering their product key. And some of the replies are saying it is because the product key is already in use by the existing installation of the 32bit version.

This reply in a forum post might explain why:

Well I called Microsoft this morning and spoke to a very helpful lady on the
    alternate media customer support line and she has explained that there are
    some problems with the online system at the moment and they are not sure when
    it will be fixed. She was able to take my product key and do a manually
    replacement media order for me though, so I am very happy!
    Maybe you should try the same?

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Maybe you should try the same?
    I just read this:

The ability to get the 64bit version of Vista, by mail, is for the purchasers of a Retail copy of Vista, only.

The reason that page exists is because the Retail copy of Vista only comes with the 32bit version, but buying a Retail copy of Vista licenses you to use either 32 or 64 bit versions.

OEM copys of Vista (the ones that come with a computer, pre-installed) are only licensed to use the version of Vista that came with the computer.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is annoying. However, I have read in a few places that a Vista product key will activate both 32bit and 64bit versions of the same version of Vista regardless of if it is a key from a retail or OEM copy. Therefore you could try downloading a 64bit copy of Vista Premium from a torrent or newsgroup and then activating it with your existing key.

I'm sure that should work.