Yes, it is true. I'm getting another Atari ST!

Someone was offering a free Atari STFM, which is the same as the one I originally bought in 1987, and which later expired when it couldn't cope with the presence of so many Amigas surrounding it (in the early 90's) and so did the gracious and honourable thing and set fire to itself and died.

I'm looking forward to getting hold of one again. Even though the Amiga is far superior in hardware terms, the ST does still have it's unique charms, design and features. And there is still a lot of unique software only ever released for it to be explored. Games, productivity software and demos. Plus having owned and used one for a couple of years as my main home computer it does still hold some good memories.

One thing I never explored on the ST was the demo scene. It appeared later than the Amiga's and really only to try and prove the ST was as good, even trying to copy some of the famous Amiga productions. But there are some unique productions worth watching and it will be a good opportunity to explore and see what they actually managed to squeeze from the ST's minimal hardware guts, running them on the real hardware (which is always nicer than emulation).

Time to dig out my ST rom collections and see how I can convert the images back to disk.