Thread: Star Trek

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Star Trek

Has anyone been to see the new Star Trek film?

I went to see it yesterday and was very impressed and really enjoyed it.

For a change all of the actors picked for this work well and were the right choices for each character. Normally the choices they make in such evolutions and reworking of a well know franchise don't completely work, but they all do here.

The whole film is pretty action packed and contains a lot of special effects. From the in ship control systems of the star ships and shuttles, to seeing the inner workings of things like engineering or the shuttle bay. It is a huge leap forward in visual effects and the sense of realism compared to previous Trek series and films.

I especially enjoyed the way they introduced each character and wove their stories into each other. They could have so easily created a film about them all joining the academy and their time there training to become the Enterprise crew. Instead they skipped the whole of that period of time and went strait from joining up, to graduating and getting their first chance to go into space.

And the actors much have studies the original actors characters for some time because the mannerisms and behaviour of them all was great.

If are a fan of Star Trek then you will probably already have seen it, or be planning to go very soon. And if you were a fan of the original 60's Kirk series and films then I can guarantee you will enjoy this too.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I saw it last weekend, and i enjoy it a lot, it was very cool to see again the "NCC-1701"
    A500 - A600 - A1200

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice sum up Harrison.

I really enjoyed the film and it was nice to see a fresh start for the franchise. I was a big Next Generation fan, but didn't really enjoy DS9 (soap opera in space), Voyager (killed the Borg as a decent enemy and ruined a fantastic premise) and Enterprise as much.

I thought the Next Generation films were all quite poor with the exception of First Contact.

It wasn't perfect for me. The shaky-cam filming still annoys the hell out of me; the quick panning cameras creating a sense of pace and urgency make it hard to see what is going on at times. I also hated the ice planet CGI "monsters" which felt all very Star Wars kids stuff along with the little Jar Jar (or was it a Gem H'Dar mini me?) and the Enterprise's engineering room looks like something from the set of Willy Wonker and the Chocolate factory.

Still, a rollercoster ride of a movie with little depth, soul or emotion but bags of action and eye candy!
    Last edited by Bloodwych; 16th May 2009 at 16:56.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Saw this last week in the theatre. I liked it.

Some of the performances were still a bit wooden, but I'm sure the actors will greatly improve as they get more comfortable in their roles.

Obviously, the special effects were superb.

Above Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've seen it last week-end and i really didn't enjoy it. To be honest, i found it more like a remake of Top Gun in space than a Star Trek movie. Kirk has even the motorbike and the attitude of Maverick,... I mean, even if that's the way Kirk was when he was younger, did they really need to emphasize that part in the movie and to turn him into a little rebelious playboy almost surfing on rockets to save the world at the last minute? And, above everyhting: Beastie Boys in Star Trek, woooot?! It almost made me leave the room after 5 minutes (some people did).
    Yesterday eve was our Star Trek eve (like every wednesday during the last 5 years) and we've been watching 4 episodes of TNG, that felt good and helped me forget the last movie which i would store in the same place as the remake (parody?) of Starsky and Hutch, or maybe not even...

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by my_lo View Post
    ...did they really need to emphasize that part in the movie and to turn him into a little rebelious playboy almost surfing on rockets to save the world at the last minute?
    This is exactly how Kirk was in the original series, and to a lessor extent in the films (as he was older).

And, above everyhting: Beastie Boys in Star Trek, woooot?! It almost made me leave the room after 5 minutes (some people did).
    It was a better choice that usual for a ST film. Remember the crap Buzz was listening to before the NG team arrived? And it is a well liked song of theirs. Not really an issue from my point of view.

OK, the film was a departure from the style of the previous films, but I can't see why any true ST fan wouldn't have enjoyed it. It did have more of an arcade style to it, as I referred to before when mentioning Starship Troopers, and some wouldn't like that, but I don't think that harmed it at all. The faster pace and the acceleration of the timeline in parts helped it in my view.

The only negative thing I personally thought about while watching the film was in regard to the Romulans. I instantly thought, oh no, not a remake of Nemesis. It had very similar elements, with a Romulan rough group controlling a ship that contained the destuctive power to destroy a planet. With this one being focused on Vulcan rather than Earth.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Star Trek??? What's that

I never enjoyed ANY of the series, hence I'm not gonna watch the films either.

@Harrison
    Don't try to convince me now

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    But I will try. Purely for the reason that this new Star Trek film isn't anything like the films of old. It is a fresh start with a new style that is fast paced with a lot of action.

It isn't anything like any Star Trek series episode and feels like a proper film, rather than an extended episode from the series, which the Next Generation films always tended to be.

Even if you download it rather than going to the cinema, it is worth watching. But because of the amazing special effects it is worth seeing at the cinema, rather than on a TV screen.

Above Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    OK, the film was a departure from the style of the previous films, but I can't see why any true ST fan wouldn't have enjoyed it.
    I don't know if i can consider myself as a "true" ST fan, but i own every serie on DVD, as well as all the films. I watch ST since as long as i can remember, as for TNG, i think that i've seen it like 8 times the whole serie. I still dedicate all my sunday and wednesday evenings to watching ST with my wife (who is also a huge fan).
    And i tell you that all the special effects won't buy back the "top-gun-in-space" feeling that the film gave me, i won't even go back to the Beastie Boys.
    Last edited by my_lo; 23rd June 2009 at 07:50.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Interestingly you are the first I've spoken to who said they didn't enjoy the film.

I think the directer summed it up in an interview by saying that you have to forget everything that has come before in the Star Trek universe and watch this film as if the whole thing were new. I did and enjoyed it. I think had I gone to see it expecting it to be faithful to the past series and films I might have been a little disappointed in it too. Especially as the timeline has been completely rewritten with this film.

Personally I enjoyed this film much more than the previous few ST films. As I already said, they mostly felt like long TV episodes. This felt like a real film. I think having new actors who are not migrating from a long running series, but taking on the roles for the first time, really helped with that.

One thing springs to mind though. With the timeline changed the events of the past films might not happen, or might take on a different shape. Therefore Kirk might never get caught up in the Nexus and die as he did in Generations. This could lend itself well to William Shatner being able to get a cameo in a future film! It could also lend itself to events from previous films and series being weaved into the next films, but in slightly different ways. There is a lot of history in the Trek universe to utilise.