Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dual Layer DVD-R

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy dual layer DVDs from?

They seem to still be quite expensive at most places I've looked. Over £1 per disc.

I would ideally prefer to get Verbatim discs, but it doesn't matter if they are DVD-R or DVD+R. And I'm also looking at 10 or 25 disc cake packs, rather than boxed jewel cases of them.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    They are indeed still very expensive. I always buy discs at a shop here in Luxembourg called MMD, they have a lot of stuff for a normal price. But one single DL disc still costs 2.99€, that's 2.70£!!!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is very expensive.

I've now found 10 packs of Verbatim DL DVD+R discs for £10.43 at svp.co.uk, which seems quite a good price. Working out at £1.04 per disc, which seems to be the cheapest I've seen for a good name branded disc.

svp also have 25 packs of RiDisc 2.4x Double Layer DVD+R for just £11.24, working out at 45p per disc, but I've never been a fan of RiDisc banded discs, although reviews of them on the site are very good.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A little update.

I purchased the Verbatim Branded 8x DL DVD+R discs from SVP in a 10 disc spindle tub in the end. Unlike the best Verbatim discs which use Taiyo Yuden dye from Japan, these current ones are made in India (which is never as good) but do use the MKM 003 dye, which is a Mitsubishi manufactured Dye, so are still very good quality compared to most.

I've so far burnt 4 discs from this 10 pack and all burnt perfectly. On my NEC 4550A writer they burn at 8.4x speed, which is brilliant and so nice to finally have discs burning at reasonable single layer speeds.

And on a much older NEC 2510A writer they burn at 2.4x speed, which is slow by todays standards, taking about 40 minutes to burn a full Dual Layer disc, but it is good to see these new discs are compatible with an older writer.

So, if you need some dual layer discs I highly recommend these 8x Verbatim DL DVD+Rs. It has been reported by others that they work perfectly for Wii and 360 games too.