Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Microsoft certification

Has anyone ever done Microsoft certification?

I have been interested recently in finding out more about what is involved in this, and also with looking into other certificates such as for Cisco networking or similar.

And if you have done any of these have they proved useful in furthering your carrier?

And how do the actual exams work? Do you have to attend a location and take a written exam? Or can you take them online?
    Last edited by Harrison; 22nd April 2009 at 09:54.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm thinking of a complete career change and getting into computers and networking, since I've been practically doing it as a hobby for years. I know quite a lot about the technical side already after learning from a guy who ran my past employers network (so I could cover for him) and have a natural interst to learn in this area which always helps.

I was thinking of doing a masters but if I haven't got the free time perhaps I'll go for these more practical qualifications. Any advice in this thread would be useful.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

Downloads
    Uploads
    many years ago I took some courses to get the CCNA. Unfortunately by the end of it (4 terms over one year) I got distracted by some events in my private life and couldn't make the exam (lost with 5 points or something ) after that I started my master's and lost the motivation for networking certificate anyway ...

The CCNA exam was online (5 years ago). I'm sure Microsoft is too (shame if it isn't).

masters, certifications are good for your career. but what employers want is actually people who get things done.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I looked into it a few years ago. I may do one sometime in the future, but I have no immediate plans to.

Downloads
    Uploads
    im doing the microsoft 70-620 exam on friday, Its the vista one! Just reg with prometric and find and exam centre then go take a multiple choice exam.
    :thumbs: Amiga, Wii Amiga on wii! SORTED! :thumbs:
    [img]http://www.my-wii.co.uk/wiibanner.jpg[/img]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Multiple Choice exam? Is that it? Sounds fairly easy if you know the subject well.

How much do they cost to take?

Downloads
    Uploads
    @Harrison

I did two courses in Nov 2008, If you want to know the ins & outs give us a call, It really is too much info to post here.

The Exams are carried out on line at a test centre & you are notified at the end of the exam if you have passed.
    Multiple choice may sound easy but unfortunately the ethos is very much "Doing it the Microsoft Way"

Exams are £120-£150 a shot depending on the module but M$ are always giving a special offer regarding a free resit if you register on the learning site.

If you want to talk about it you know how to get hold of me and you are very welcome.

TC

Downloads
    Uploads
    WEll I passed! 871/1000 not too bad for cpl hrs revision, lol. Cost for this exam was £88
    :thumbs: Amiga, Wii Amiga on wii! SORTED! :thumbs:
    [img]http://www.my-wii.co.uk/wiibanner.jpg[/img]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm... I'm seriously going to be looking into this. I would love to get some proper networking certificates, because although I know most of what I need I don't have any actual qualifications to back up my knowledge if I went for any jobs that required it in the future.