Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads

Does anyone here play non computer RPGs?

Hello everyone,

Well you all know how I am by now, I pop up once in a while to disappear again for some unclear reason.
    Anyway, does anyone here also play 'traditional' RPGs, not just the computer and console based games?

I myself don't play them but I do have a copy of the Ringworld RPG and its Companion, I always like the loads of info on the game world and everything in it these books provide.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't play them now, but I used to a lot.

Many years ago before computer based RPGs were more than text adventures I did indeed play many traditional pencil and dice style RPGs, as well as table top war games.

It began at an early age with the release of the very first Fighting Fantasy Game Books. I loved those role playing game books and still have the first editions of the first set of 7 books in that series.

After this the original Dungeons and Dragons got released in the UK and I purchased a copy, followed by the add-on boxsets. A group of us started playing D&D in our school lunch hour, and sometimes continued after school, or at the weekends.

AD&D was also taking off quickly, but due to the cost of the games manuals and supporting books we couldn't afford to start playing it so stuck with D&D for the moment.

Then I discovered Games Workshop and Lead Figures. This got me into painting the figures and then into Warhammer. All of my friends also got into lead figures and table top war games. We started to play Warhammer regularly, and then Warhammer 40K. We also played BattleTech sometimes after I managed to get the game in a sale.

We also branched out and started to play many other Games Workshop and other games included the role playing game based on Warhammer, Bloodbowl, Battlecars and its sequel Road Wars (that was a great game).

We also tried some of the other popular RPGs at the time including MiddleEarth, Judge Dread, Paranoia (Great game) and Maelstrom (Another great game).

And as well as all this some of the other related games such as the 2000AD based Block Wars.

I also continued to buy the role playing game books in the Fighting Fantasy range, as well as the Lone Wolf books and the other Peter Jackson books I forget the name of that were based on the same Fighting Fantasy rules.

There were also many other games including the original MegaTraveller.

As I said, I don't play them these days now that computer based RPGs are so evolved and great. Also due to the fact that the group of friends has since dispersed so there is no one left to play them.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not anymore.
    Did as a nipper.
    Was into D&D.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Never did, arrived in this world too late
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I never tried it, but have some friends that played some of them. It's very time consuming, isn't it? And as time is very precious in my world, I don't play.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yea especially when someone decides to add some points to their characters...."Oh I thought that was a seven...."
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Have tried a few, but was never bit by the bug. I've always preferred RPG's on the computer.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For me, as soon as computers became powerful enough to run an RPG that were able to create a good gaming world I practically stopped playing paper and dice non computer RPGs completely. I did still play some table top war games such as Warhammer, and some other games such as Blockwars and Rogue Trooper, but we did stop playing RPGs such as D&D.

I think it was around the time 16-bit computing came in and the original Dungeon Master was released that I stopped playing most paper and dice based RPGs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to admit I still do play 'pen & paper' gaming, and prefer them to computer-based systems, probably because they can be so much more free-form than the usual crpg or mmorpg, and potentially less time-consuming.

Systems I have played and enjoyed include:

Role Master (awesome combat system, great possibilities, but a real bitch of a game to referee)

D&D - ALL incarnations (easy to get into, easy to play, easy to run and muh maligned by people who are too stat-happy (IMHO) plenty of scope for fun and games)

WWF (a lot of fun with a suprisingly simple but clever combat system, seems to forget that we all know wrestling is fake.. and makes it real)

Call of Cthulhu (very hard to run properly, as should be with horror-systems, requires a lot of devotion to the background history regarding Lovecraft to get the best enjoyment from)

Paranoia (sucks, just dire system, really does suck and is not fun at all)

plus there are others that I have dabbled with, along with ccgs, but tend to find myself going back to D&D, just enjoy it too much to want to give it up.
    This is not a signature

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I completely forgot about Call of Cthulhu. I used to play that years ago. A friend was a great GM for that game and we had great fun playing it.

I noticed you didn't think much of Paranoia. I personally loved that game. Second rules though as the first rules were no where near as good. But it is a hard game for the DM to control and get right. I think we were just lucky that we had a great guy running the Paranoid games we used to play as they were great fun and he used to add a lot of interactivity using OHP's and computer interaction which added a lot of atmosphere to the gameplay.