Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Formula 1 2009 first round

First of all, i am a long time Ferrari fan... zero points in the first round but i liked it.

I found the first grand prix of 2009 very nice:

- front wing getting larger was a very good move, it gives more stability when driver A is driving very closer to driver B, it makes it much easyer to get out of a bend on his tail. Overtaking will be a more commom thing

- slicks, also a good move, improves grip

- Kerbs, could make formula1 even more atractive, getting cinectic energie (clean energy) from braking to hive for a few seconds extra +/- 80HP

So, i saw a very interesting race:
    - with a very strong pace from Brawn GP... not all the work cames from Honda, Ross Brawn did also a great job setting up a new team.

- Red Bull also with a strong pace, but i dont know if they will keep it next races...

I alwasy see F1 from TV and also from formula1.com with live direct times, and:

- BMW where very very fast
    - Renault, even with a good position from Alonso, i didn't saw great times from them
    - Ferrari, best Ferrari time was not bad, but...
    - for some time during race, from all drivers, from the best time to the worst time there was no more then 1,7s witch i think is very good, last years we saw sometimes more then 3 or 4 seconds....

And eve with all restrictions, they are running at the same pace as last year...!

I know it's only the first race, but i liked what i saw.
    What you think?
    A500 - A600 - A1200

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great start by Brawn GP. Their greatest problems will be reliability for Malaysia due to the lack of testing. Considering they only had an engine and team 3 weeks ago they've really shown the big boys what a good team can do. I bet Honda are really kicking themselves now.

The McLaren is obviously better than we thought but by no means a world championship car. Whereas last year it shone in qualifying this year it sucks.

Ferrari have their typically crap start to the season but they'll get better unfortunately.

The big thing will be the appeal over the rear diffusers. If Brawn et al win then you'll see the new diffusers on all the cars by the next race. If they loose then we'll see just how much of an advantage they give and have yet another constructors and drivers championship handed to Ferrari.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Buleste View Post
    Ferrari have their typically crap start to the season but they'll get better unfortunately.

The big thing will be the appeal over the rear diffusers. If Brawn et al win then you'll see the new diffusers on all the cars by the next race. If they loose then we'll see just how much of an advantage they give and have yet another constructors and drivers championship handed to Ferrari.
    Hum, you are not a fan of Ferrari...

well rear diffusers probably could reduce 0.2s or 0.3s a lap, that could bring Ferrari so the same pace, if they remove the rear diffusers then Ferrari will be on top again.

Mclaren are not good by now, but next race they will improve a lot i'm sure.

About Honda, don't think they are mad, don't know what happend without Ross Brawn, he is really good. And is not only Ross Brawn, other enginers other way of work.

But i enjoy this race a lot (even with no Ferraris in the end)
    lets wait for rear diffusers rules and also kerbs, i hope all teams use kerbs, that will bring more fun to the race.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Button Wins!!! Brilliant!

Brawn GP, Ross, Button, Rubens, and the rest of the team look great, and it was brilliant seeing them do so well. You could just see how much work had gone into everything in that team and after everything they had endured over the winter it was a brilliant result.

And Richard Branson has to be congratulated on coming in at the last minute to help them get the car to the grid. It was a great move by him, although we all know he wouldn't have invested in something without a lot of thought and research. But we know he has been interested in F1 for a long time, and I think he just saw a great oportunity he had to take a risk on. The Honda team are one of the largest in F1, well estabished, with a great racing history and some of the best engineers and other staff in the sport. They just appeared to be doing so badly last year because Ross Brawn had looked at the 08 car and decided not to waste money developing it, instead spending a long time developing this years new car. So they were ready with a potentially great car for this year, but with a sudden lose of team ownership.

You do however also have to thank Honda for helping and supporting Brawn GP after they had decided to pull out of the sport. They continued to pump some more money into the team to help them after they left. Without that I don't think they were have been here this year.

Will we see the team rebranded Virgin GP ot Virgin F1 at some point this year? I wouldn't be surprised. Especially after the comments Richard Branson made after the race. He saw something special in the team at the first race, and i can't see him not wanting to be involved more with the team as the year progresses.

Now the race. I think the first race was great. A huge improvement and increase of enjoyment compared to the last couple of years. Close racing throughout the race, compared to the field quickly spreading out too much in previous years. The wider front wing and taller skinny rear wings do look very odd, and not as aesthetically pleasing as the cars of the past, but we will get used to them over the year. I remember thinking how odd the new thinner cars looked compared to the early 90's models when they were introduced (1997/8 I think).

I also liked the inclusions of the Kers system. It adds some more tactics to the race. Even in the first race some drivers didn't have it on their cars due to them thinking it was too heavy compared to the advantage it gives, whereas others thought the advantage was worth the extra weight.

But most of all it was so great to see Brawn GP and Jenson Button getting pole, and then winning the race. It was brilliant to see, and quite emotional, especially with all of the bad luck Button and his team have had over the years. To finally see it all come together was brilliant. I don't think I've been so emotional since watching Hill win in Japan in 1996. At the very start of the race as they were preparing to start I could hardly watch, worried something was still going to go wrong.

And Ross Brawn always seems such a nice guy, and seeing his grin on the podium at the end said it all.

And you have to give Ruben's a mention too. It looked like the same bad luck at the start, with his anti-stall cutting in, and then the rear shunt at the first corner, but the Brawn GP car looks so strong, taking a lot more impact damage than we have seen an F1 can manage to withstand in recent years. And even with another collision with a Ferrari he carried on perfectly well. His skill obviously played a big part in keeping it all going with the loss of down-force because of his damaged front wing. And he was so lucky at the end, to get back up to 2nd and make it a 1, 2, victory. Brilliant!

But what do you all think of Jarno Trulli being disqualified and Hamilton being handed his 3rd place? I think that was really bad. OK, he went off the track, but regained the track. At worst he should have just been demoted to 4th. This is one reason I hate McLaren, and to som extent Hamilton. Then can never win points and results positions purely on race results. They always have to resort to complaints after a race to get things altered. It is the reason I've never supported McLaren and probably never will. The whole team never look like they are racing for the enjoyment of it. And that is in complete contrast to Brawn GP who are all racing for the enjoyment of racing and the sport.

It was also quite a mixed up range of team performance. Ferrari and McLaren were for once not on the pace at the first race, with Red Bull, BMW and even Toyota looking pretty good. This should be a great year. Although we know Ferrari and McLaren have the money to keep development going, and if the rear defusers are allowed to be kept you can surely see them being added. Although according to some they spoke to it isn't as easy as just bolting it onto a car. The rear end of the car needs a bit of a rear design change, so it could be some time before seeing it on the other cars.

Finally, what did you all think of the return to the BBC? I enjoyed it much more than the old ITV coverage. Gone are the annoying members of the team. James not commentating can only be a good thing. And maintaining Martin was great. I think the new team are so far much better, and the coverage was improved.

The interactive coverage on digital was a good bonus too. Plus the F1 forum they ran for 1 hour after the end of the main coverage was a great addition. I always used to hate ITV cutting the coverage short, missing all of the driver interviews and other interviews because they were in a hurry to air Coronation street! The F1 Forum extra hour of coverage is a great idea. So we get to see all the after race interviews with the winners, and everyone else, plus chatting with many others. Great stuff.

I've really looking forward to the rest of the year's F1 now.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Jarno Trulli got exactly the same penalty that they gave Lewis Hamilton last year so how can that be McLaren and Hamilton's fault? That's just daft. It's Ferrari that do all the complaining when things go wrong for them and they are the ones who usually win all their complaints. It's Ferrari using underhand tactics who win championships but then they learned it from Michael Schumaker. That's where Rubens learned how to crash into peoples sidepods and get away with it to get past people.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Close driving, with some accidental contact is what racing is all about. It shows the racing and fighting spirit of the driver. Rubens is great at that when given a good car, just as Schumacher was in his day.

I've always been a Ferrari fan, and I hope they do well this year... just not as well as Brawn GP.

As for McLaren. I've never liked the team, Ron Dennis especially, and hope they and Hamilton do really badly this year! They are more underhanded that Ferrari have ever been, and always try to get race results overturned after the fact. They are just bad losers.

Ferrari have the Italian racing passion behind them. I've never been quite sure what McLaren have had, other than a grey backdrop.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!