Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Running multiple graphics cards

I know that it's possible to have two (or more) completely different graphics cards installed and running separately on a system with multiple PCI-E slots. However has anyone tried it?

I'm looking for a way to have 3 or 4 monitors running from my main system. With the current 4870 graphics card installed I have a 2 monitor setup, but I'm ideally looking for a 3 display setup as it is useful having a monitor to both sides of the main one when doing design, video or 3D work.

I know that if I setup another 4870 in crossfire that they can be run with crossfire disabled so that all 4 monitor outputs can be used, but I don't want to buy another 4870 for this. I've read that you can install any graphics card as a second one to use to drive another display. But what about driver conflicts? Is it best to have both cards from the same maker?

Also, I remember reading a long time ago that you could run a crossfire setup using two different ATI cards, and the crossfire system would utilise the extra processing power of the second card, even if it wasn't the same as the primary one. Is this still true? I had a quick search but didn't find any information on this.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Poor Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I do this. I have two PCI-E cards that each drives their own monitor. Very handy when you work on a lot of different things. I really haven't had any problems what so ever. Works like a charm actually with no driver conflicts. I do assume that would depend on the particular drivers to your cards of course.

There are cards out there that offers control for multiple monitors as well.

As far as your other specific questions I am afraid I cannot offer any insights as I stopped looking into it after I just went ahead and installed the extra card and that was pretty much that.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Are both of your cards from the same series? ATI Radeon or nVidia for example.

Poor Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep.. Both are ATI cards. I figured it was the safest bet.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm... I think I might get a cheap second ATI card and install that then.