Poll: Which browser(s) do you regularly use?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The windows version of DOpus is great and well worth looking at. You can download a free 30 day trial of it to test what it offers. And you won't be disappointed. The way Vista navigation of directories works was being used in the Win version of DOpus years before Vista had it, and DOpus offers a lot of other advancements over the standard Windows Explorer that are well worth having. The search and batch file processing features are especially very good. I don't know what I would have done without the ability to use its batch renaming to rename large sets of files for web development projects.

And you are right about Win 2000. It was a great OS in its day and definitely one of the best developments from M$. I had it installed as my main OS very soon after its release and continued to use it as my main OS way after XP was released (only upgrading to XP once SP1 was out). Win 2000 was one of the best developments/jumps in OS design M$ have made to date, with many aspects of 2000 still obviously present in both XP and Vista. They are basically just updated versions of what 2000 started after all.

I still remember the first time we got hold of it on launch and tested it out on a spare PC at work to see what it was like, and being really blown away by how stable and good it was. Before this we had been wrestling with NT4 on our video edit stations, and Windows 98 on out workstations. Both a nightmare in different ways. It wasn't long before I had convinced my boss that I needed a faster PC and a copy of Win 2000 on it. At the time what I built was a state of the art Athlon 900MHz machine with a dual head Matrox G400 Max 32MB graphics card, 384MB ram, 60GB HDD and an Adaptec SCSI card with internal CD writer, external SCSI flatbed scanner, and when they came out, one of the first ever external Pioneer Authoring DVD Writers and a Pioneer DVD-RAM drive. At the time (2000/1) that was a great machine.

Times have moved on though. Windows 2000 is now starting to show its age. It is still fine to use as a business OS or as a server, but not if you want anything up to date. It doesn't support the lastest versions of IE, or DirectX, so you can be a bit stuck. Plus it is now out of date for design work as most Adobe and Discreet software has required at least XP as a minimum for a few years now, and some of the latest versions require Vista as a minimum.

Windows 2000 is still probably the most stable version of Windows to date. Although with SP2 or SP3 Windows XP seems to be just as stable, if not even more so. My test server and download servers both run XP SP3 and neither ever need to be rebooted (unless an update requires it) and both just keep on working. And saying that, my main PC running Vista 64bit is very stable too and nice to use.

As I have said many times. XP and Vista are very good OSs that run very smoothly and are both very stable if you are running them on powerful enough hardware. Windows 2000 wasn't nearly as resource hungy and used to run fine on a Pentium 2 400MHz machine with 512MB of ram, whereas XP really needs a 1.5GHz+ CPU and 1GB of ram to run as intended, and Vista really needs a 2GHz+ dual core CPU and 2GB+ of ram to run at its best. Although for Vista to run really well a quad core CPU and 4GB of ram is even better.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Dangerous Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I do agree with you somewhat, Harrison.
    However, I do disagree with you when you reckon XP is more stable than 2000

I never had any problems with 2000, but XP and Vista are prooving a nusience with they're issues and instability ..... even on a powerful machine like mine.

I never have any speed issues (even in Vista) but regularly Vista seems to 'malfunction' and completely **** up for no reasone

As for XP, I had my fair share of problems with XP in the past.
    I still maintain that 2000 is a far better (Windows) OS than XP and Vista, it's just a shame it's so dated now.

I'm hoping Windows 7 will be an improvement over Vista. Despite my disappointment with recent Windows versions, I still have (some) faith in Microsoft, that they can once again, make a 'working' OS

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    One big problem I had with 2000 was the boot time. It could take 5 minutes just to reach the desktop, then longer to finish loading. The XP SP3 system I still have boots completely in under 1 minute including loading everything on the desktop), and for Vista 64bit my system fully loads in under 30 seconds.

One thing I discovered recently is how much faster both XP and Vista load without a network connection. My internet went down, and my Vista machine booted in about 20 seconds!

As for overall stability. It depends on how the OS is setup. I never try to install anything I'm not going to actually use regularly, and I reconfigure the services and startup programs after every program install to make sure no additional rubbish is running that could cause instability or crashes. Also hardware is important. Some is more stable than others.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Dangerous Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I reconfigure the services and startup programs after every program install to make sure no additional rubbish is running that could cause instability or crashes.
    Just as a matter of interest (and an aid to improving my Windows installation), what services and startup programs do you 'reconfigure'?

I assume you disable a load of unnecessary services?

It's always caturday! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Firefox 3 of course, the latest 3.6a1pre (Build 20090615044733) version from yesterday
    But I have all the other browsers installed just for the fun of testing something from time to time.
    Last edited by Shoonay; 16th June 2009 at 10:57.

Mostly Harmless Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Only Firefox 3 for me on desktop. Using it since 0.7 version. Never looked back.

I use extensively my Windows Mobile browser which is IE only to login to WIFI hotspots proxy (i don't pay a dime) then Opera Mini.

Above Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Same here: Firefox all the way! I tried Opera for a while but i just couldn't get used to it...

Poor My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    FF here and Opera for reading news.
    Looked at Chrome for a while but can't get used to it...

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Firefox at work, Internet Explorer 6 at home (because I can't be bothered to install/configure anything else), IE8 on the laptop and Opera on my mobile phone/PDA.

I like Firefox the best.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's an update on my browser usage.

I still use Opera 9 on the PC, and have Opera 5 on my PowerBook 1400, which works well considering the borwsers and the machines age.

I got a PowerBook G3 (Lombard) recently and ran Opera 6, but then I started using Classilla, which is an updated version of Mozilla for MacOS (most of the updates so far are security updates). It seems to be doing a very good job of rendering web pages.

Has anyone here tried running OWB on a 68k Amiga?