Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Final Fantasy XII

I thought it would be nice to set up a FFXII topic, so everybody currently playing (or not yet), can post their questions, tips, experience aso here.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll begin by asking a simple question. What does everyone think of FFXII compared to the rest of the FF series?

Personally so far I'm finding this the best Final Fantasy game to date, and that includes Final Fantasy VII. The real time combat is a new direction for an FF game, but it only takes a few moments to get used to it as it still uses many of the combat machanics from previous FF games, such as the attack timer, and pausing the combat whilst you select your actions. Personally I'm finding the new combat system quite new and refreshing after so many variations of the turn based system from all previous FF games.

The character development system is maybe the only negative aspect of the game, where you need to purchase and assign the ability as well as equipping an item before you can use it, but after a couple of times it isn't too much of a problem.

The story is also just as well written and involving as previous FF games, and the graphics are some of the best seen on the PS2 to date.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Only having played 7,8 and 10 so far, I think that 7 was better, but I have to mention that it is my favorite all time RPG, the first one with such a turn based combat system I ever played.

The combat system in FFXII is good, but gets quite boring, dull and bland with the time. I think they should have used a turn based again, because this is nothing else, only that you have to run around with bad camera positioning. In the beginning, when entering a combat, you chose ATTACK, run around, strike the opponent, run around... After some more combats, you just stop running around, as it leads to nothing. You just stand there, waiting for your attack to be performed.

Graphics are indeed great, and the monsters look great, as usual in RPG games.

I like the gambit and license system, as it's very unique, and you can chose what your character will become with the time. So I use my female characters with magick and ranged weapons, and my male characters with short ranged weapons like axes, swords and spears.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The other big change is of course no random battles. You can now see all enemies roaming the area you are in and it is up to you to engage them or try to avoid them. I don't honestly know if I prefer this over random battles as they did used to add an element of surprise whilst you were travelling, and this did feel more realistic as in real life you would not always see an enemy before they ambushed you in an attack.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can now see all enemies roaming the area you are in and it is up to you to engage them or try to avoid them.
    I like that, and it is getting more and more used in upcoming RPGs. But I take all the fights anyway, NO MERCY!!!

add an element of surprise whilst you were travelling,
    It could also be very painful, retracing to a spot, and AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH, not again.

as in real life you would not always see an enemy before they ambushed you in an attack.
    Actually when running through a desert plain, you can see your opponents very well. This would only count when passing through woods and such. In Xenosaga you also see your opponents, running through big space ship corridors. Sam Fisher also sees his enemies Imagine random encounter in Splinter Cell

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, that is true. As I said I'm not sure if I prefer random encounters to be in a game or not. But then games don't have to be true to live.

I do however agree with having too many random encounters in a game. Some games such as the original Breath of Fire got quite annoying with random encounters appearing every few steps in the world view.

Thinking about the combat system again, it might just me as I've not played it in some time, but I seem to remember Grandia's combat system being similar. Also quite a few PS1 games had visible enemies, but it is a first for an FF game.

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just 15 days until I'll be getting my hands on this hopefully...

Ridiculous it takes 4 months to do a PAL conversion.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hence the reason DC and myself both use chipped PS2's so we can play the games when they are actually released.

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Hence the reason DC and myself both use chipped PS2's so we can play the games when they are actually released.
    The guilt of helping kill the Amiga off means I'll never pirate another video game. Either that or I want to wait for the proper version with the case,manual and everything when it comes to FF games. (Looks at shelf full of 'non-original' games) Yeah, it's the latter.

Although I suppose with a chipped PS2 I could just import the NTSC American version.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Piracy wasn't the reason for the Amiga's death. The bad management of Commodore was the only true cause. Even with the piracy, the games sales on the Amiga were strong. And it is evident with most platforms throughout history that the most popular systems have had the biggest piracy levels. Look at the original Playstation for example.

I do also like to own the originals of games such as Final Fantasy and most other RPGs. I have originals of all the UK releases by Squaresoft on both PSX and PS2 so will probably buy FFXII once it is released in the UK. I have also imported many original games from the US and Hong Kong in the past. Especially titles that never get released in the UK.

But I do still download most of the latest releases so I can experience them prior to a European release. If it is any good you can guarantee I will purchase the original eventually.

BTW, I look forward to seeing what you think of FFXII once you get your hands on it.