Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Helping out with site content

We are very eager for all members to help out with the content of the main site. If you would like to offer some help please let us know. Either by sending a PM to myself, Harrison, or by posting a thread asking if you can help in the Suggestions and Feedback forum, listing what you would like to help with.

Areas of the main site members can help out with:
    • Game screenshots - a lot of the games entered into the site database still need screenshots made for them. This just requires playing the games and taking some screenshots as you go, then saving them as PNG images at a size of 640x480 or more and then uploading them to the site ftp server.
    • Game Manuals - If you have access to some original Amiga game manuals and have a scanner then we are very interested in your help. We need members to scan in their games manuals and make them into Adobe PDF files so they can be added to the game pages.
    • Game Box Art - If you have some original Amiga games in their boxes then we are very interested in scans or photographs of the boxes, and of the disks themselves (for the labels).
    • Other game files - We are also looking for Amiga game adverts, posters etc...
    • Demo scene entries - If you were into the Amiga demoscene and know a lot about the productions then Teho and PG need all the help they can get adding new productions to the demo scene section of the site. If you can offer some help with this please let us know.
    • Amiga magazines - If you have some original Amiga magazines in your collection then please let us know. We need all the help we can get from people who still own original Amiga magazines. An aim of the site is to try and make available as big a collection of PDF scanned version of all Amiga magazines we can find. If you can help please let us know.
    • Amiga magazine coverdisk scans and ADFs. - We need coverdisk scans or photos for the labels. We also need the magazine coverdisks converted to ADF files ready for download on the site to include with the PDFs of the actual magazines.
    • Promotional material - If you have any original Commodore, or just Amiga themed advertisments or promotional material please let us know as this would be great for the site. This could also include TV adverts, company magazine adverts, posters, flyers, etc.
    • Tutorials - If you have an idea for an Amiga themed Tutorial or FAQ then please let us know. Anything Amiga related would be of interest. For example a guide on how to emulate the Amiga on a specific platform. How to setup a piece of hardware on a real Amiga, How to install OS3.9, anything you can think of that you can make.
    • Reviews - If you have some favourite games or demos then please write some reviews for the site. You don't need anything special to write them. Just being a registered member of the main site is all that is needed. You can then go to any game or demo page and add a review.
    • Comments - Every member on the main site can leave comments for any game or demo. Please leave a few comments, giving your thoughts on some of the site entries if you have some moments spare.
    For members who wish to aid classicamiga with ongoing creation of content for the site, they will be considered for promotion to VIP or Staff Member level, depending on the type and quantity of content they provide. This will give them access to special Staff Member areas to aid discussion on site development and content making.

We hope some of you are interested in creating content for the site to help us make it the best resource of Amiga content on the internet.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Question: when I submit a user review to a game (taking care to fill in the security code and such), is the review supposed to show up right away, or does it get sent to a staff member first for approval?

I just submitted a small review for Another World, but after pressing submit, it just returned to the game's summary screen, and the review doesn't show up.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It has to be approved, but I took a look now, and I can't find it, so I suppose that only the admin can approve a review.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've added a review for Battle Trucks now, an awful game, so I had to write a review to warn people, I thought that was my duty to do this. Add it to editor's rating.

The first time I wrote the review, I wanted to edit it and resubmit it again, but I got several errors, and the review was lost. So I entered it a second time, and copied the text, and I edited again, and the same errors appeared, and the review was gone again. So I did the same a third time, and copied the text again. Where are the previous ones?? What happens when editing?

Have a look at that crappy game here.

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    I've added a review for Battle Trucks now, an awful game, so I had to write a review to warn people, I thought that was my duty to do this. Add it to editor's rating.

The first time I wrote the review, I wanted to edit it and resubmit it again, but I got several errors, and the review was lost. So I entered it a second time, and copied the text, and I edited again, and the same errors appeared, and the review was gone again. So I did the same a third time, and copied the text again. Where are the previous ones?? What happens when editing?

Have a look at that crappy game here.
    It's down to the AJAX I think - when you post your review the page updates automatically without reloading. This seems to create problems when you edit it straight away. I've found navigating away from the page, navigate back to it and refreshing avoids this, but I have taken to writing reviews in notepad and copying them over in case this it does happen to me.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    but I have taken to writing reviews in notepad and copying them over in case this it does happen to me.
    Yeah, I'll have to do that in the future.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes this is due to AJAX. If you submit a new review and then try to edit it without fully refreshing the page it will confuse the code. It will still think the page is in the same state as before and try to submit the review again as a new one, breaking the review and losing it. Just refresh the whole page using your browser refresh button before trying to edit it again. Or naviate to another page and then back again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharingan View Post
    Question: when I submit a user review to a game (taking care to fill in the security code and such), is the review supposed to show up right away, or does it get sent to a staff member first for approval?

I just submitted a small review for Another World, but after pressing submit, it just returned to the game's summary screen, and the review doesn't show up.
    Normal site member reviews go into a validation review queue when they are submitted. I then check them and approve them from the backend. This is to prevent members registering with the site and then posting rubbish reviews or spam on the site.

If you submit any more reviews PM me and I will take a look and validate them for you.

BTW, nice review. I've promoted it to editor's review for Another World. Definitely the kind of reviews we are looking for.

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks

I'll try to improve my standard of writing in the future. As you might've guessed, English isn't my native language ... I used to write a lot more, but have become a little rusty of late.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Your standard of writing, and your English are perfectly fine. You have nothing to worry about.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll try to improve my standard of writing in the future. As you might've guessed, English isn't my native language
    Same here, that's why I have problems writing reviews sometimes. It always looks very simple and I tend to make grammatical errors. But I've already been told, and it also has happened, that the other UK guys just correct it, and after that it's fine.

And imo your review is just perfect

Shall we promote my review as editor's rating, or leave it as comment?