Plasma Tv under £499

Hey guys i've posted this here cause i want a little wider viewing audience than usual!

Normally i would have posted this on OSUK/Haxxors or even Abay.

Anyway point is i'm in the market to get a new plasma telly. Having seen 4 of these at my local tesco's i'm very tempted.

http://uk.lge.com/products/model/det...42pg3000.jhtml

The Telly is £489 just in budget. the Specs look great and i see some favourable
    reviews however i'm very confussed The TV states This spec :

Resolution: 1024 x 768 now from what i can gather this is only 720i
    Yet in the Blurb it states full 1080p ? Anyone know about this as i'm not that clued up on HD etc.

if you have any suggestions i'm open to them but i am set on Plasma not LCD as i already have one of those.

if you have any idea of a better deal in that price range please do shout up but i can't pay 1p over £500.

Thanks.
    A1200 : Blizzard 030 / 4gb 2.5" Hd /64mb Edo ram/1 gb compact flash - pcmcia / internal scan doubler / Trilogic joystick mouse adaptor (works with pc optical mice) 17" Black Samtron samsung monitor...

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    HDTVs have definitely fallen a lot in price so far this year, plus you can currently get Sky HD for £29.99 when ordered at the same time as buying a new HDTV, which is a great deal.

However I personally think the current 1080p LCDs are better than Plasma screens. Most Plasma screens are 720p and downscale full 1080p. And I've seen LCDs and Plasmas running next to each other and the LCDs from Samsung and Panasonic definitely have the edge over Plasma.

Now the LG TV you are looking at has a native panel resolution of 1024x768 which isn't good. That is standard VGA resolution, and not any HD resolution or aspect ratio. HD 720p resolution is 1280 x 720 so that TV doesn't even reach 720p standards and will be downscaling all HD resolutions to fit the panel. And in the TV's specs it states it isn't 1:1 Pixel(HDMI : 1080i / 1080p), so that isn't good either.

It will however display all HD resolution and interlaced or progressive signals. It will just be downscaling then all a lot.

I have the feeling that this LG Plasma is an old model/stock, which is why it is being sold for this price.

To make sure a TV has a native 1080p panel resolution it has to show the "Full HD 1080p" logo/label. If it only has the "HD Ready" logo/label then it just means it can display HD, but not always at full resolution.

I don't think you will find many full HD 1080p plasmas close to your £500 budget.

The only Full HD 42" in your budget that I've found is the Foehn & Hirsch 42" Full HD LCD for £499 from ebuyer http://www.ebuyer.com/product/154999

But for slightly more you can get the good older series 4 Samsungs.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!