Poll: Is it OK to copy/download commercial Amiga games?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As the original rights holders haven't put any/much effort into preserving their back catalogues, I'd say piracy has ended up being a valuable trait. Allowing for the preservation of software from rich companies like EA, all the way down the spectrum to a single individual developer (can't think of any to reference).

So even if piracy was detrimental to companies at the time, it's now turned out to be the historical saviour of games long forgotten by the rights holder.

A few years back I contacted a few developers/publishers suggesting a service similar to iTunes. Were a WinUAE configured game could be bought for one £/$/euro. Suffice to say none replied and I'm not aware of any such service getting made.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I forget the name of the site, but there is now a company that releases old PC games for download at reasonable prices. They package the games with all up to date bug fixes already applied and update them so they run on current OSs. It's only PC but it is similar to your idea.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Adventurer Speed Biker Champion, Tadpole Champion, Pearl Hunt Champion, Spacerunner 2 Champion, Marble Mayhem Champion, Galaxians Champion, Starfrosch Champion, K Tire Racing Champion, Way of the stick Champion Phantom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh sh1t...

I thought new Amiga commercial games, that's why I voted the 4th option. Apologies... but in this matter I will go for the first too.
    [b]To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures[/b]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I will change your vote for you to the 1st.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Adventurer Speed Biker Champion, Tadpole Champion, Pearl Hunt Champion, Spacerunner 2 Champion, Marble Mayhem Champion, Galaxians Champion, Starfrosch Champion, K Tire Racing Champion, Way of the stick Champion Phantom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh... Thanks m8.
    [b]To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures[/b]

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I forget the name of the site, but there is now a company that releases old PC games for download at reasonable prices. They package the games with all up to date bug fixes already applied and update them so they run on current OSs. It's only PC but it is similar to your idea.
    gog.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember being in School and buying a hundred Amiga Floppys at a time via the post full of Amiga games and all of my mates at School spending hours copying disks with X-Copy using multiple external disk drives, I did all them years ago have over 1000 disks full of games. I am the complete opposite now I suppose im a collector and love nothing better than owning the original boxed version of a game, it just feel so much better to actually open a box take out the proper printed disks and play games that way.

I must admit thought I have just bought an A1200 with WHDload and must admit the games are more enjoyable played off the hard drive without all of the disk swapping.

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I must Admit I tend to agree with the masses. If the games are no longer being sold then It's OK.