Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Poor Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Name that WWIII Strategy game!

Hi.. I've been trying to remember the name of this WWIII strategy game that I loved.

Ok.. first off it is a LOT like Conflict Europe. You have your overhead map over central Europe with your NATO and Warsaw Pact forces. You have movement and attack phases. You have abstracted air forces just like in Conflict Europe. You could also use nuclear weapons (Strategic and Tactical) via passwords that you would have to give for each attack.

There were also this printer that was onscreen that kept you abreast on developments in other theaters also much like Conflict Europe.

It *might* have been released between very late 80's and early nineties.

Also, it had a very stark and minimal start screen. Mostly black and I remember the sound of a crying child playing in the background. I suppose to give the player some perspective.

It has been driving me mad trying to remember this one. And as I said.. it is not Conflict Europe, but very similar to it.

I seem to remember playing Team Yankee in roughly the same time period, but I might be wrong on that one.

Does this ring a bell for anybody?

Thank you in advance.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The first game that springs to mind is Nuclear War

That link will take you to our entry for the game, which includes some screenshots, so you can see if it might be the one.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think it's Nuclear War as that one is rather a fun world war game compared to Conflict Europe.

Poor Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry, Gentlemen. It wasn't Nuclear War although that was a pretty entertaining game. For those of you that don't know it, it took a comical approach to the Nuclear Armageddon. Very nice.

But nah.. that's not it.

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is Conflict Europe the same game as Theatre Europe? If not it sounds a lot like that. Played it on C64 way back, never did figure out how to win. :-/

Poor Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    Is Conflict Europe the same game as Theatre Europe? If not it sounds a lot like that. Played it on C64 way back, never did figure out how to win. :-/
    Yes. Conflict Europe is in fact the 16 bit version of the old 8 bit classic. I believe they were developed by the same team as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflict_meps

Sounds like this from your description cause i also loved this game too!
    A1200 : Blizzard 030 / 4gb 2.5" Hd /64mb Edo ram/1 gb compact flash - pcmcia / internal scan doubler / Trilogic joystick mouse adaptor (works with pc optical mice) 17" Black Samtron samsung monitor...

Poor Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmmm.. nah.. Actually I never played that one, but it sure sounded interesting so I might have to check it out just to see what I missed.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Oh well it sounded similar from your description but please do give it a go it's a great game and even a pc remake if u have one of those

http://ilfera.blogspot.com/2009/02/end.html
    A1200 : Blizzard 030 / 4gb 2.5" Hd /64mb Edo ram/1 gb compact flash - pcmcia / internal scan doubler / Trilogic joystick mouse adaptor (works with pc optical mice) 17" Black Samtron samsung monitor...

Poor Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Even better! I'll certainly take a look at it.

I'm still open for other suggestions as far as my "mystery" game goes btw.