Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Wii hacking?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've now found a much better method. Since Wii Menu version 4 you can now move channels to the SD memory card and load and run them directly from the SD card. The Wii also allows up to 240 channels to be installed onto each memory card, and since Menu 4 it now supports SDHC cards up to 32GB which is more than enough room.

So I've now moved all of my WiiWare and Virtual console games to the SD card and run them from there. Leaving the main Wii channel menus clutter free. Sorted.

Also having support for 32GB cards also makes running ripped games from card more appealing, and I might try this instead of using an external USB HD.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bit of a nightmare at the weekend. Connected the Wii to the TV in the living room and selected the different wireless network used, but without asking me it began upgrading the Wii Menu! Noooooo!!!

So it went from a fully hacked 4.1 to a Nintendo upgraded 4.2 Wii. Very annoying. Luckily it hadn't removed the homebrew channel and when I checked, IOS36 was still patched.

However the 4.2 upgrade had replaced the hacked IOS249 which is used to load a lot of software like ISO and backup disc loaders such as NeoGamma with a IOS249 stub file to block this from being installed.

After much searching I found a good guide on the WiiHacks.com forums explaining how to softmod 4.2 Wii's, and part of this ran though how to remove the IOS249 stub and replace it with the cios38rev14 in its place. And it worked perfectly!

Anyone with a 4.2 Wii I highly recommend this guide here.

Part B was all I needed to get everything back up and running again, and it all works as it did before with the earlier software versions. So that was good. This guide also links to all downloads needed to perform the soft modding, and these downloads are SD card packs with everything ready to run, so no need to download loads of things from lots of sites manually. Very easy guide.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for that link, might come in handy when I want to upgrade my Wii to 4.2. And as you have learned now, switch off Wii Connect