Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wii hacking?

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    As mentioned in the other thread, I don't think you need to use the save game exploits any more. Have a look at http://wiiguide.co.cc/ It is using something called a bannerbomb. As soon as you try to access the SD card with the software loaded on it the Wii tries to open a banner message and the code on the SD card uses this to launch itself and bomb the process and hack the Wii. Very smart if this method works.
    Oh, man. That does sound easy. And I do have a 2gig SD card just waiting unopened, as it happens.

Hmmmmmm

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    So, I had a go at this last night.

And.......

After installing the hoebrew channel the Wii restarts, i could tell straight way there was an issue as there were interrupted horizontal magenta stripes at the top and bottim of the screen, and then when the picture appeared the colours were all off (like a colour channel was misssing like when you leave a component jack out or mix them up)... and when I selected the homebrew channel it froze......

My pants turned brown (figuratively speaking)...

And I did a hard reset and it was all fine

Homebrew channel is working well, tried a few bits of homebrew from the bundled homebrew directory browser and they worked. Not tried playing a backup as yet though.

The channel in the wii menu for homebrew has a reall natty icon and plays some super jazzy wii style music as it loads up. Nice touches like that.

This was very easy (so far). The linked to guide is neat-o

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I finally decided to hack the new Wii we got for Christmas. Sadly it seems the site I originally found which you had all used with success is no longer working.

I instead found a newer site called Complete Softmod Guide, which contains a wealth of information. http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/home

I also however discovered my Wii was the newer version dubbed the lu64+ version, which isn't as easy to hack. But fear not. It is now fully hacked and running homebrew and backups, plus updated to the 4.1 Menu system.

It wasn't as straight forward as I thought it might be though, and required some playing around with installers and different IOS and cIOS installers.

The initial bit went perfectly first time running the banner bomb exploit to install the homebrew channel and bootmii. However it was then I discovered the Wii I have was a newer version with a better protected IOS36 system file, meaning I couldn't make any homebrew ISO or DVD-R loaders run because I couldn't install a cIOS exploit they needed. Quite annoying.

However, after trying one method which kept hanging the system, I then used something called Tricha Bug Restorer and this successfully patched the system file back to the older version needed to exploit the system, and then it was full steam ahead. I could then update to Menu 4.1 and update all of the other system IOS pached files using "Dop-IOS Mod". A complex but quite cool utility.

So my method turned out to not be as easy to the older all in one softmod solutions that existed and used to work perfectly. But after all this I do now have a fully softmodded 4.1E Wii with homebrew channel, NeoGamma disc loader, Homebrew browser and loads of other stuff installed and working.

Now just to try and get Gamecube backups working. Anyone tried this? I've patched the system to allow it, but NeoGamma crashes and the system reboots when I try to load any.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use the loader which was in the AIO kit for the GC backups. And also you should install USB Loader GX, best loader imo.

Hm, wiiguide.co.cc really seems to be offline. I downloaded the latest 4.1 AIO kit from there 1 week ago for a friend, so I still have it. Wonder what happened to the site.
    Release 4.1 (May 26th, 2009)

* Added LoadMII
    * Added IOS35 downgrader
    * Added Waninkoko SD/USB Loader Channel v1.5
    * Updated Homebrew Browser to v0.3.1
    * Removed dvd dump v1.2

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is nearly 8 months since the author last updated the kit, so maybe he has moved on and abandoned it. I noticed he hasn't updated the thread about this on the MaxConsole forums either.

However, I am glad I did all the softmodding manually in the end as I now know exactly what has been installed and altered on the Wii right down to each specific system file, which is always nice to know, and could be useful in the future.

I finally got a GC backup to boot on the Wii. I tried a different loader by wiiGator, called GC Backup Launcher and it seems to work much better. It booted Pikmin 2 properly. However it did crach towards the end of the FMV intro sequence, so it didn't work perfectly. Will try a different one later to see if I get any better success.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've also tried out a few emulators now. WiiUAE 4 works very nicely. I loaded up a handful of games and they all worked perfectly. The speed of Amiga emulation also seems good.

A really useful list of Wii emulators can be found at http://wiibrew.org/wiki/List_of_homebrew_emulators

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A quick question about WAD files and the virtual console channels. I've installed some virtual control N64 games and each has installed as a separate channel. Is that the only way? I was hoping it would setup a virtual console channel with all of the installed games inside to keep things easier to navigate.

Also, is it possible to rearrange the channel order in the Wii menu? Does anyone know?

You change the channel order by pressing the A+B buttons over the channel and dragging it where you want. Or just the B button. Something like that. Virtual Console games all install as individual channels. You can always stick them on the second channel screen to keep them all together if you want.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah! Cool. Cheers for that info Burns. I didn't know you could do that. Very easy!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also thought that it was quite annoying to get every time one channel for each game you install, but I then also found out that you can move them around with the A&B buttons hold simultaneously, and I also put them to the second channel screen. On my first channel screen I only have the loaders. But then again, I have a second Wii for WiiWare and Virtual Console games only. On my main Wii, I moved the forecast and that channels to the second channel screen, I think you cannot delete/uninstall them.