Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wii hacking?

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I tested now Madworld, a very nasty game btw, and it works perfectly without any slowdowns. But as far I only tried PAL games, I don't know if a softmodded Wii can launch NTSC/U or NTSC/J games? As far as I read, I don't think so. But I am currently downloading an NTSC game to test it.

I don't know if it's worth buying yet, perhaps not really, as there are only quite few games I really want, but it just was the right time to buy one, 4 weeks ago a new laptop, 2 weeks ago a new TomTom and now the Wii, I like the useless stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison
    Have you also read the part in the guide about ripping games to HDD or SD card? It is possible to rip the game DVDs to an SD card or USB external HDD connected to the Wii and launch and play them from there. You could therefore connect a large external HDD and have all of the Wii games accessible at once from there. It is definitely someone I would want to try.
    I didn't try that yet, but I definitely gonna do that, I have to have a look at that ripping guide, do you have a link? That would of course be awesome to launch the games from the external HDD.

EDIT: Hm I played Madworld for an hour now, then came to my first boss fight, and right there, before the fight starts, it froze. Sadly it didn't make one single savegame, so I have to start all over again.
    Last edited by Demon Cleaner; 16th July 2009 at 01:14. Reason: Double posting - posts have been automerged

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is annoying. Might have been a bug in the game as much as the softmod or the copied disc. Could have been caused by any number of things.

Regarding NTSC games. I'm read of others using softmods running US NTSC games, so it might work. Worth a try anyway.

I thing the guide to ripping games to SD card or HDD was on Maxconsole.com. I will have a look and post a link if I find it.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    EDIT 2: Omg, how easy is that!! With the applications I installed also came a SD & USB loader. So I plugged a 40GB HDD to the USB and launched the application. There you can format your disk, needs to be WBFS file format, and that needs only seconds to finish. Then you put in your game, press the + button on the remote, and the game is installed to the HDD. Then after you can launch it from there. Awesome. Only have to see if it works flawlessly. Perhaps Madworld will work properly that way.

I also found out that when you start a game, you can enter a configuration mode where you have some start options, like forcing PAL mode, which perhaps could then work for NTSC games. Still have to try that, but not today anymore.

EDIT 3: Ok, more information. Madworld installed perfectly and also works fine off the HDD, it even boots faster! But now I tried to install a second game, and it froze at 63.85% of the installation, so I started it again a second time now, to see if it stops again at the same place.

Next I'm gonna try is Metroid 3 as NTSC game, only have to unpack and burn it.

Btw, all the games are so far burned onto Verbatim DVD-R at 4x speed with Nero.

EDIT 4: The second install try was Ok and it installed just fine. Perhaps it's my old HDD.
    Last edited by Demon Cleaner; 16th July 2009 at 14:39. Reason: Double posting - posts have been automerged

My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Announcement!

Tonight is NTSC and homebrew testing

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you going to try some emulators?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Are you going to try some emulators?
    I guess, will look what is available.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    There's a whole bunch of emulators available, and I tested the SNES one. Installs on the SD card, and as my current one is only 256MB, I cannot put a lot of stuff onto it, have to wait until my other SDs of 2GB arrive. But the emulator works fine, tested 3 ROMs without any problems. Gonna try Wii UAE when I get the cards.

And the NTSC games also boot without any tweaking.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm to mod or not to mod...
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Submeg View Post
    Hmm to mod or not to mod...
    I only can recommend it, it's very easy.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I got my second Wii last Friday and yesterday I modded that one too, again without any problems. I will use this one only for homebrew and fiddling around, so if I manage it to brick this one, I still have a working one left