Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My wish list!

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

My wish list!

Seeing as I'm actually making some money now, I can start saving for some cool stuff! My list contains:

* phone (Samsung Innov8 or a Blackberry storm)
    * laptop (still researching)
    * 2 x Technique Turntables
    * Pioneer DJM 909 Mixer

I think that's it? MMMM
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Samsung Innov8 is a very nice phone. However it is slower than the N95 when I used it, but not by much. I'm tempted to get one myself as I always buy Samsung phones.

I'm also looking for a new laptop at the moment, but one of the small notebook ones running the Atom CPU because they are so small and portable for when I have to travel. What sort of laptop are you after? Gaming spec, or general use for email, word processing, internet etc...

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yea Samsung phones are really good, I have one now so I'm impressed and want another. It's not out in Aus yet unfortunately so I have to wait.

I'm looking for a laptop to run my music stuff, I have Reason and using Serato so need one with lots of processing power

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Most laptops are at least dual core these days so that helps. However be careful because some of budget dual core intel CPUs are quite slow and not worth it, even if they look like a bargain.

If it will be running Vista also make sure it has plenty of ram. 2GB as a minimum, and 3GB if possible. laptop ram is very cheap these days (£24 for a 2GB SODIMM) so it shouldn't be a problem. And also to get Vista running smoothly a reasonable graphics card is needed. Nothing fancy if you are not intending to run the latest DX10 games, but avoid the integrated Intel graphics cards as they are very crap. Make sure it is an ATI or nVidia card.

For value for money I always like Acer laptops. Their build quality is quite good, but not quite at the same level as HP/Compaq or IBM. If you really want a robust laptop, especially if you intend to take it places, then one from those two companies is recommended. Although you will be paying more for the name.

Dell laptops are also quite good. But you are tied into buying their own parts for any upgrades so do get ripped off.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I will be looking at HP as I have a HP and it works well. My sis has an Acer and it's design is poor, weight distribution is odd, very annoying. I don't mind spending a bit of cash, just gonna be using it for music, so all I need is fast CPU thats really it, maybe a big HD? thats all.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Laptop HDs are falling in price too now. A 320GB HD isn't too expansive. Or there is the solidstate option, but the sizes are not as large. Although with no moving parts a soldstate HD is silent and doesn't use as much power, so the battery lasts longer.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What they have internal solid state drives??

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep, SSDs are becoming more common now. You can currently get them up to 128GB in size, but they are expensive at the moment compared to 2.5" HDDs. Dell offer the option in some of their laptops, as do other makes.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm, maybe will stick with normal ones for now...that is too pricey for my liking!

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just got my new laptop! It's an Asus, will give more details tomorrow, going to bed now!