Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sonic Youth

Any other fans of Sonic Youth here?

I've just finished ripping my extensive collection of Sonic albums and EPs to MP3 and listening to loads of my favourite tracks. For me Dirty Boots has to be one of their best tracks, followed by 100% which I remember actually got into the main stream charts in the UK and the video got a lot of airtime. Something that was very unusual for alternative/noise/no rock.

And I've just discovered their recent SYR album releases. I've managed to get hold of SRY 1 to 6, and am now looking for 7 and 8.

And do you realise how old the members are now? And how young they all still look! They are all in their 50's and still going strong which is great. No other alternative rock group has been around or lasted as long.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I sometimes listened to it 15-20 years ago, can't remember exactly, and all I can say is that Dirty Boots is also my favorite track. And they have a great cover version of Ca plane pour moi from Plastic Bertrand

Btw, do you have an mp3 version of Dirty Boots, I only have a flac?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep. I've uploaded to your webspace for you in Root/Music.

I've also included 100% as I love that track.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, gonna listen to that song now.

I uploaded Ca plane pour moi to the directory, the original one from Plastic Bertrand and the Sonic Youth cover.

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was aware of them in the early '90s, thanks to 'Raw Power' - ITV's weekly rock/metal/grunge televisual feast, aired at the party-'til-you-puke hour - 3 a.m.

Think I missed them at their best though because I didn't hear them again until I got 'Washing Machine' and wasn't very impressed. I remember only liking the first track!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There best albums were "Daydream Nation", "Goo", "Dirty" and "Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star", which span from 1988 to 1994. Although their earlier albums were all pretty good if you are a Sonic fan.

A few of their albums are sometimes a bit too experimental to be 100% enjoyable though. I often skip some tracks that are just too much of an eclectic noise.

I also used to watch "Raw Power". I would set the video and record it every week, as would all my friends. Then we would talk about the new video releases the next day at college. That was a great time for music. Discovering new bands via a weekly program and then looking though the albums at the local music stores to try and find something by them. And not always finding the current new released, so instead buying some of their older stuff to listen to instead. And so many other bands discovered by just looking though racks of albums, or via friends.

It's just not the same these days. Music can be downloaded near instantly and the magic of the whole thing is a bit lost.

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    And in the summer Raw Power was sometimes followed by beach volleyball - bonus! But I digress. I first saw Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit video on Raw Power, sometime around September '91 - hadn't seen it on any other show like TOTP or the Chart Show at that time. Beat all my friends to buying Nevermind by weeks!

I prefer the convenience of music purchases these days. So many times I'd see some band, go down to the minuscule Our Price in town and have to order an album because they didn't stock it. I do, however, lament the loss of music shops. Thankfully there's still an HMV where I live. I don't download albums, I still prefer a physical CD. Just my quaint, 20th century affectation.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I also used to watch "Raw Power". I would set the video and record it every week, as would all my friends. Then we would talk about the new video releases the next day at college. That was a great time for music. Discovering new bands via a weekly program and then looking though the albums at the local music stores to try and find something by them. And not always finding the current new released, so instead buying some of their older stuff to listen to instead. And so many other bands discovered by just looking though racks of albums, or via friends.

It's just not the same these days. Music can be downloaded near instantly and the magic of the whole thing is a bit lost.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's definitely more convenient downloading music, especially as you say, when they don't have what you want. But for me the whole experience of looking through stacks of CD's and record albums was something special. Just the same as going into a video game store and looking through all of the software for your system. Being able to download it all directly and virtually just isn't the same. And to me downloaded stuff doesn't feel like you own it, not like having physical packaging and a disc.