Mostly Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

030 or 040 what to treat myself to?

Hi guys,
    I am in a quandry I dont know whether to purchase an 030 or 040 expansion board for my new A1200. I have given up smoking so i deserve a treat and i have some extra cash. The 040 is tempting because it will (allegedly) run Total Chaos alot better.
    http://aminet.net/package/game/strat/TotalChaosAGAr6
    However, I seem to remember reading that there is a compatability issue with 040's and some retro games? is that correct or did i dream it? and if so how many is there a problem with? As i said i dont mind spending a little more on my new hobby (read obsession) and what the hell the world is gonna end one day.
    CHEERS
    Pz

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Out of an 030 or 040 accelerator definitely get an 030. And try to get a Blizzard 1230 MK-IV accelerator. These contain a 68030 at 50MHz and will be more than fast enough for most things. Try to get one that is also fitted with a 50MHz FPU as these are very hard to find and fit separately, and also tray and get one that also has at least 32MB ram fitted.

If you have a bigger budget look at a Blizzard 060 accelerator. The 68040 CPUs do suffer form compatibility problems as you thought. But they also get very hot and are not really designed to work on a standard A1200 desktop case. Most people with 040 accelerators have done an A1200 tower conversion. In comparison the 68060 CPU runs much cooler and is more compatible with software than the 040. And you should be able to run on in a standard A1200 desktop case.

Price wise a Blizzard 1230 MK4 with 50MHz FPU and 32MB Ram should cost about £110-140. Don't pay over £150 (£160 at a push) for one as you will be getting ripped off.

A Blizzard 1260 is a different matter. They are very sort after so when one comes up for sale there is normally a lot of interest. Although you could get lucky. I saw one sell for £160 recently. But the price could be anything over that.

The only other option is a PPC accelerator. Most come as a combination card with both a 040 or 060 CPU and a PPC processor on the card. These can fetch over £300 easily.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    As Harrison said a 040 and a PPC is impractical on a desktop 1200 they just get too hot and you just can't get enough air into them. There doesn't seem to be too many of any Blizzards on eBay at all in fact very few accelerators at all. Best of luck in your search.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would highly recommend you join our sister site, http://www.amibay.com , and post a wanted advert for a blizzard 1230 MK-IV (or whichever card you have decided to get). There are a lot of members on Amibay who deal in accelerator cards, as well as members just selling their own cards, and they will generally offer them at a good price.

The Amibay member called Crumb might be worth contacting as he always has a steady supply of accelerators on offer. Maybe out of your price range, but he currently has a Blizzard 060/50Mhz with scsi kit and 64MB ram for €475.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Mostly Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Holy Sheeeeeeeeet,
    some of them are damn expensive - however, it doesnt look promising for a Blizzard. I think its going to have to be an 060 simply due to the fact there wont be any cards left one day!
    thanx again for your time dudes, I will post again on amibay but if you see anything dont hesitate in giving me a poke
    Pz