Poor Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Getting my first retro computers! Atari 800XL and 64C YES!!!!!!

Yes! I will be getting my first Atari computer, I grew up a Commodore kid so I never experienced the "other side of the tracks" so to speak lol! Just picked up a 800XL with PSU/Joystick and Dig Dug cart, looking forward to joining the wonderful world of ATARI! Also on the way is one of the C64 models the Commodore 64C!

My true love will always be Commodore/Amiga but I want to expand my horizons too!
    AMIGA - Some people will never "get" it........

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I never had an Atari computer but I did have the Atari Console and it is a true classic. Congrats on the C64C as well. I'll have to have to have a look to see what mods you can buy for the 800.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Poor Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Buleste View Post
    I never had an Atari computer but I did have the Atari Console and it is a true classic. Congrats on the C64C as well. I'll have to have to have a look to see what mods you can buy for the 800.
    Thanks! any help appreciated!
    AMIGA - Some people will never "get" it........

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The 800XL is definitely a true classic of retro computing. It had a great case design with those metal keys down the right-hand side.

I never owned any of the older 8-bit Atari's, but did have an Atari 2600 (woody) that I still own, and it still works perfectly, and an Atari STFM (which died in a puff of PSU smoke years ago).

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've found a few text file on how to increase the memory to either 256k or 512k. I doubt you'd be able to get the parts though. When I've had a good look I'll post them for you.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    One thing many people don't know is that Atari's 2600 console and 8-bit systems actually share something in common with the Amiga. They were all designed by Jay Miner! The Atari 8-bit systems use a custom chipset consisting of the ANTIC (DMA), CTIA/GTIA (Graphics), POKY (Audio) and PIA (I/O) chips.

This meant that Atari's 8-bit systems were quite advanced at the time with custom chips for graphics, sound and I/O operations. And Jay tried to convince Atari to invest in developing a more advanced chipset for a new 16-bit console/computer idea. When they rejected his idea, he left Atari, formed Hi-Toro and started to design this new chipset on his own. Which would as we all know end up becoming the Amiga. And as we all know Atari tried to get the Amiga back by funding its development... if it has been different we would all be fans of the Atari Amiga and Commodore might have created something else completely.

I'm glad Commodore did obtain the Amiga though because I don't think the system or OS would have been as good had Atari been the final developers of the system.

So in effect the Amiga is the true successor to the older 8-bit Atari's, and they in turn are the true predecessors to the Amiga, rather than the C64. So the 800XL is the direct predecessor to the Amiga.

And because of all this the ST ended up not having a custom chipset like Atari's past systems, and had to quickly be built using off the self components.

The STs sound was even inferior to their older 8-bit systems. The 800XL for example had the Pokey custom chip, which produced 4 semi-independent 8-bit audio channels, with the ability to combine them in pairs for 16-bit sound.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Fancy a IDE/CF adapter for your 800XL then go here for people in Europe or here if you live in one of the New World colonies.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD