Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mostly Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

commodore64 breadbin help

Hi guys,
    i know this isn’t amiga related but just wondered if you could help me. I just got my Commodre 64 breadbins out of the garage and cant believe they still work. I have well over 200 games on tapes. Is there a way of getting the data onto my PC and vice versa, or to protect them am i going to have to pay the kids to make tape to tape back ups of everything?
    Any advice or a poke in the right direction is appreciated.
    Cheers
    \pz

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I believe there is a way to stream the contents of a tape via a serial cable between the C64 and PC to an imagefile on the PC, or something like that. But I never looked into it. Images of C64 tapes do exist(called .TAP or .T64) and are supported by emulators, so there is definitely a way to do it.

Had a quick look around and found a tool called mtap that'll do the job. However it requires that you make a special cable for connecting the C64 to the PC, or get a special adapter for connecting the C64's tape reader directly to the PC. Hope that helps. If not I'm sure there are more applications/solutions out there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ok cheers i will look into it

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    You could also try to either buy a CF to C64 device or try making one. I've put links to them in another thread I just can't remember it at the moment. When I find it I'll post it on here.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Downloads
    Uploads
    thanx matey. one breadbin has just died and just gives me different coloured screens. the other is working but rf modulation is very poor, looks like its going to be a hatchet job. add to that all five of my data tape players have failed in the last hour they have all ground to a halt

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If your C64 tapes and disks are of commercial games and software, then you can legally download image files of the software and use them on your PC with emulators like Vice. Have a look at http://planetemu.net/ for an extensive collection.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    O.k. These are the C64 CF/IDE adapters I can find at the moment.
    IDE64
    Ultimate1541
    MMC Replay

Individual Computers are also working on a Flicker Fixer type product for the C64.
    Last edited by Buleste; 5th January 2009 at 10:03. Reason: missed a return.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you feel like going completely mad then you could always boost your C64 to have a SuperCPU operating at 20MHz with 16MB RAM. Go here for more information.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I used an XE1541 cable which works perfectly and isn't expensive either. If you manage to find a schematic you can even build one yourself, it's not that tough. Although you have to use Starcommander to copy files, and that is a DOS shell, thus not running under Windows. You can find info about the cable at the Starcommander site here.

The cable is connected from the 1541 floppy serial port to the PC parallel port.

Don't get an XM1541 or a XA1541 though, because I read many reports that they're not working flawlessly.

Now I'm of course using my Catweasel MkIV to do this, works faster and is also easier. Only thing is, that the Catweasel can only write/read d64 files, so only disk images. Starcommander can handle any single other format as t64, prg, p00...

Downloads
    Uploads
    thanx guys thats cool