Poor Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

HOLY CRAP! AmiKit is amazing......

Well I must say, I have the latest Amiga Forever package and I just downloaded and installed the latest AmiKit package, WOW! I was AMAZED at the entire package, from easy setup to the enhanced environment it creates! I AM STOKED!!!!!
    AMIGA - Some people will never "get" it........

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use it myself and it is pretty good.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    AmiKit is very good. However there also a couple of other pre-configured Workbench setups I thing you should also try as they are also quite amazing, and I personally prefer them over AmiKit.

The one I highly recommend is classicwb, created by the member Bloodwych.

http://classicwb.abime.net/

Classicwb is available in a large number of different setups for real Amigas and for emulation. If you try the WinUAE emulation version of classicWB you will be very impressed by the setup.

http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/uae.htm

I run versions of classicWB on my real A600, A1200 and A4000 Amigas, and also use the UAE version in emulation with WinUAE. A new Workbench 3.9 version has also just been released which I'm planning on trying out soon too. The support from Bloodwych for ClassicWB is great, and we have a support section in this forum for the classicWB project if you wished to post any ideas for future development of the project.

In contrast to AmiKit which contains a huge setup of files, applications and utilities to do just about anything, but designed to show how far you can push the Amiga OS in emulation, classicwb is instead designed as a streamlined workbench setup, able to run on most real A1200 setups, but at the same time containing everything setup perfectly and configured so you can do pretty much anything you can think of with the Amiga. For my ClassicWB contains everything I normally need and it is all within a much smaller setup than any other pre-configured package.

Another pre-installed Workbench project is called AmigaSYS 4. This is heavily configured high end setup similar to AmiKit, but in my view more polished. And unlike AmiKit which is designed to squeeze the most from an emulated Amiga, AmigaSYS instead tried to achieve the same, but on real systems, and any other platform that can run Amiga emulation.

http://amigasys.extra.hu/

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

HOLY CRAP! I just realised I don't use AmiKit.......

Boy do I feel stupid....... Just realised I dont use AmiKit I use AmigaSYS 4. Goes to show how often I've been using WinUAE just recently. Oh well. Back to planning the destruction of the world.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I only tested AmiKit so far, but it's still installed on my notebook. I used it a bit at work, but didn't do a lot anyway, so I uninstalled it.

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, nice plug Harrision. Along with fantastic new Wiki, you sure do get through a lot of words on this forum!

AmiKit is impressive, especially all the features like internet updates. It doesn't quite feel like an Amiga to me however, neither does AmigaSYS, but that doesn't mean they're not awesome pieces of work. They both are, and believe me a large number of hours will have gone into pushing Workbench that far!

My ClassicWB packs stick closer to looking and feeling like the original Workbench and performance, usability and stability are my main concerns. They also have lower system requirements and are meant to be a default install to give you a head start, not a final solution like AmiKit or AmigaSYS.

The idea is to let the end user customize the packs as they see fit, so it comes with very few patches and those that are there can all be enabled/disabled in the settings.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Your welcome mate. ClassicWB is a great project and you should rightly be very proud of it.

I also agree with you about the others. They don't quite feel like an Amiga when using them. Although you could argue that have Amiga hardware development continued with Commodore at held we might have seen such Workbench setup as the norm on real Amiga hardware. But thinking about such things just makes me sad!

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Poor Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am trying ClassicWB latest for UAE, I setup and it booted but in Workbench it asks to insert DH1: I am not aware of another hard disk file for DH1?

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewieshmoo View Post
    I am trying ClassicWB latest for UAE, I setup and it booted but in Workbench it asks to insert DH1: I am not aware of another hard disk file for DH1?
    The UAE pack should already have DH1: setup - it's the software directory. Did you use the config files provided?

I just tested the pack here - unpacked it, placed the kick3 rom in the roms directory and booted using the provided configs. Those configs have DH1: defined as a relative path (Hard Disk/Software), mounted as a PC hard disk directoy.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

Poor Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the quick reply, I admit to just skimming over the instructions heh, I just copied everything over to original WinUae location and it seemed to install OK....

Sorry, I will follow the instructions completely before posting again.....THANKS!