Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3.1 Kick Roms

Dangerous Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was also thinking of maybe a small Notes field should be added so we could include important information such as:

1.2 - 37.180 - A500, A2000, A1000 - 1987 - 256KB - NOTE: AutoConfig doesn't work in this version. Hard Drives cannot boot directly.

or

2.05 - 37.299, 37.300, 37.350 - A600, A600HD - 1990 - 512KB - NOTE: Requires 37.300 or above to boot from internal HDD.

What do you think?
    Also, Workbench versions designed to be run on these?

Also noticed the ommision of 1.4 Alpha - this is an important Kickstart in my eyes as quite a few A3000s used it as an internal ROM which then booted 1.3 or 2.04 depending on what you selected. It is possible to get these A3000s to boot 1.4 - just hold both mouse buttons during a cold boot, when the Kickstart choice menu appears, don't choose a Kickstart, instead click on the area where you'd expect to find the Close gadget (there's a hidden close button) - this will boot into 1.4 Alpha ROM. Be very warey of this, you'll get error messages galore as it uses the hard drive partition that 2.04 is c onfigured to use.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, all great ideas. I will expand the table when I get time later tonight with an "additional information" field to add any additional notes to the table.

And we can expand the table and split each kickstart rom version as I've done already for the 2.04 and 2.05 rom revisions.

And I was thinking that for the revisions of each rom version, to include that information in the upgrades pages for that model of Amiga and just link to the related pages to keep the table from becoming overloaded with information. See what I've done in the table for the A600 with links for the revisions to see what I mean.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    So far, I like what you've done.

One thing, the information on the A600 and the 37.300 ROM.

Although documentation states that 37.300 can only accept a 40MB HDD, my A600HD has 37.300 and has a bigger HDD - I've got a 1.2GB HDD in my 37.300 A600HD. However, my boot partition (Workbench) is only 40MB.

I wonder whether the limitiation is actually on the boot partition and not the total HDD size.

Harmless Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by woody.cool View Post
    Special arrangements with ROM chips:
    A3000 (& A3000T) - use ROM tower! Some early models has Kickstart 1.4 Alpha 15 ROM and boot 1.3 or 2.04 from Hard Disk, others have 2.04 ROM.
    Just to clarify this point, it depends on the A3000 mobo revision as to whether a ROM tower is required. Mine didn't need one, I think it was a rev9.1.
    [url]www.aukug.co.uk[/url] - Amiga UK User Group

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyyeb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by woody.cool View Post
    Special arrangements with ROM chips:
    A3000 (& A3000T) - use ROM tower! Some early models has Kickstart 1.4 Alpha 15 ROM and boot 1.3 or 2.04 from Hard Disk, others have 2.04 ROM.
    Just to clarify this point, it depends on the A3000 mobo revision as to whether a ROM tower is required. Mine didn't need one, I think it was a rev9.1.
    I'm not sure with mine, I've not pulled it apart to have a look. My A3000 has a 2.04 ROM (and not the 1.4 Alpha)

Harmless Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I had 1.4 ROMs originally an got some 3.1's. Neither needed a ROM tower. Both worked fine.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What actually is a ROM tower?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    What actually is a ROM tower?
    It's like an adaptor!?! Never actually seen one, I haven't had my A3000 open and looked at the ROMs yet.

Harmless Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    For those who have not seen one:

Downloads
    Uploads
    You beat me to it, I was looking for a pic on the net

Like I say, I have had my A3000 apart enough - I've only installed Zorro cards and put HDD in it, both of which don't involve taking the metal piece out covering up that side of the motherboard. I'm quite OK with Kickstart 2.04 that is currently in mine.