Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I have some time off these next few weeks and I have my scanner sat next to me. If you can decide what format you want scans in, i.e. jpg, tif, ocr'd pdf or whatever, I can get started.

I'm only doing it once so decide quickly! And are there any I don't need to scan? I have a complete Amiga Power collection, a couple of Amiga Format, and lots of The One (before it went sh!t).

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OCR'd PDFs would be the perfect format if you have the time to do it. Otherwise jpg would be OK.

Amiga Power and The One are the two magazines I personally don't have many copies of, so if you could do those two it would be great. I've got AF, CuA, AUi and AC covered as I have near complete collections of most of those.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    We already have near complete scans of The One with permission to use. Ditto Amiga Force magazine. Also, with AMR having some 40,000 pages scans, I'd suggest delaying the launch until we have 3 or 4 titles with every issue scanned. Else CA will look poor in comparison.

As a thought for file format, scanning as JPG and then converting to PDF at a later date is my suggestion - this way we still have individual page images stashed away if needed. If someone scans into JPG, I'm quite happy to do the conversion to PDF and OCRing step.

Competent Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've lost my smile again...

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The problem I still have with AMR is the inconsistent and low quality scans they are using. And also the number of missing pages per magazine issue. I've yet to see any of the advert pages. They seem to strip out every page other than contents, previews and reviews.

I personally want to create an archive that contains higher quality scans and with each issue containing every page to future archival purposes and for our own nostalgia.

AMR is still a great resource, don't get me wrong. It is an amazing project that has had a great deal of time and energy spent on it to date and it is a great resource for searching for things.

That's a big site. Also looks like they have my entire magazine collection. Ho hum.

On another note, I found the game I knew I'd read about - it was Realms of Darkness (the isometric RPG which leaves trails if you trudge through the snow). The preview in The One is the one I remember reading.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A lot of the content on AMR has been directly ripped from existing scanned magazine collections. I've have complete scanned collections of certain magazines for some years now and the scans for those are identical (but lower quality) on AMR.

That isn't really an issue from my point of view as such scans were always made with the intention of being shared. The only issue I do have is that they are too low quality to ever be considered a preservation project for the future. Great resource for now though.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
    We already have near complete scans of The One with permission to use. Ditto Amiga Force magazine.
    Where from?

Also...

look what I have!

I like how in the letter, which came with the last Amiga Power, it says "But it's not all bad news - we'll be sending you Amiga Format from now on!!"

And look at those Amiga Powers from 1992 that still have the disks sellotaped to the covers!