Dangerous Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just got an A3000, need help with SCSI HDD and CD-ROM

Hello all,

I've just got myself an Amiga 3000 with 12MB RAM and 120MB HDD.
    The internal 120MB drive is working, and the A3000 boots up happily into Workbench 2.1
    I was given a known working 2GB SCSI HDD too, which I want to put in the A3000 (and take the 120MB out) but the A3000 just will not recognise it.
    The drive is configured to SCSI ID 4 (I think) and has been tested in my old PC (which has SCSI card) and it works in that, but HDToolBox doesn't even recognise it, nor does third party utils (HDInstTools). Any ideas?
    The drive is a Seagate Barracuda.

Also, another issue. I have four different eternal SCSI CD-ROMs, one of which is a definate known worker (it works on my A1200 with Squirrel SCSI PCMCIA card) but yet again, not detected by the A3000 at all! Any ideas?
    My known working one I have tried on SCSI ID 0 and the other settings up to SCSI ID 6 (although the internal HDD is SCSI ID 6 so didn't expect it to work on 6)
    I've tried with and without a terminator connected but still no joy!

I'm running out of ideas and started to get frustrated!

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    SCSI is often a bugger to get working on some systems. I used to spend ages configuring SCSI based workstations under NT4 and it was often a nightmare to get it all working correctly.

As for the A3000, I've not sure what the issue could be. What version of Kickstart does your A3000 have? WHat kickstart screen appears when you boot it without an HD present? The only thing I can think is that the earlier kickstart versions in the A3000 used a bootstrap loader which needs to load the kickstart rom from the HD rather than from a rom chip and you would need to set this up on the new HD. But that is just a wild guess.

How have you tried to setup the SCSI HD? As you have a PC SCSI card you have the option to set the HD up using WinUAE and then move the drive back to the A3000 once it is done.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    SCSI is often a bugger to get working on some systems. I used to spend ages configuring SCSI based workstations under NT4 and it was often a nightmare to get it all working correctly.
    I've not played with NT4 for some time now ...... probably going back nearly 10 years ago.!

As for the A3000, I've not sure what the issue could be. What version of Kickstart does your A3000 have? WHat kickstart screen appears when you boot it without an HD present? The only thing I can think is that the earlier kickstart versions in the A3000 used a bootstrap loader which needs to load the kickstart rom from the HD rather than from a rom chip and you would need to set this up on the new HD. But that is just a wild guess.
    It's got Kickstart 2.04 (37.175) ROMs - current hard disk has Workbench 2.1
    Please note, that it's a proper 2.04 ROM and not the dual booting SuperKickstart arrangement that some A3000s had (they had a 1.4 alpha ROM which booted to a screen asking you to choose between 1.3 or 2.0)

How have you tried to setup the SCSI HD?
    Via jumpers for the HDD, and via the little SCSI ID switch on the back of the case for the CD-ROM

As you have a PC SCSI card you have the option to set the HD up using WinUAE and then move the drive back to the A3000 once it is done.
    The unfortunatle thing is, that the PC with the SCSI card in is bloody old, and probably won't run WinUAE very well (if at all) - as for my main (and decent) PC, it has only got PCI-E on the board, no PCI.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What spec is the old SCSI enabled PC? Anything from a Pentium II upwards would be able to run WinUAE perfectly well.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    What spec is the old SCSI enabled PC? Anything from a Pentium II upwards would be able to run WinUAE perfectly well.
    It's a dual processor P-200 (so late Pentium 1).
    It runs Linux at the mo, it's just an old heap. I don't use it much, it's there more as a convineince. It's basically a backup of my Web Server.
    Also, I have to disconnect a drive, as I don't have a cable with enough connectors to add this extra SCSI drive.

The odd thing is, before I picked up the A3000 and bits from my mate, he put the 2GB SCSI drive in to an external SCSI case and plugged it in to the A3000's SCSI port (on the back) and HDToolBox detected it! So why can't it do that when the drive's internal? How very odd
    Last edited by woody.cool; 10th November 2008 at 17:18. Reason: Additional information