Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

www.retro-remakes.net

You can find a huge collection of Win32 (Windows) flawless remakes of old-school Amiga cracktros and intros.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to our boards. You've a nice site there and already a big collection of cracktros/intros. How am I supposed to run the files?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You run them in Windows DC. They are Windows/PC remakes of old Amiga cracktros.

Quite cool. However I find another site, called flashtro more impressive as they have ported loads of old Amiga demos and cracktros into Flash, so they will run in any browser.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    But if I download them, they have no extension?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Strange. When I download them they are all zip files and extract to .exe files.

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @Demon Cleaner: check your explorer settings, maybe your windows explorer does not display extensions. The remakes on Retro-Remakes.net are all Win32 executables. Basically the crack intros from the Amiga recoded from scratch.. you do not need an emulator to run them properly. Original graphics and music are used (music is replayed in real-time in the original format, not recomposed).

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It does actually display extensions, I always set it that way, otherwise you can't distinguish between different files. Will have to try to add an extension myself, whether .exe or .zip, as Harrison mentioned his dowloaded files are archives.

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @Demon Cleaner: what browser are you using?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @Stormbringer.

It is impressive that people are recoding these demos to run natively as Win32 executables. Can you tell me a bit more about the site and project?

How did the site originally come about? And how many people are working on these remakes? Are they all created from members of retro-remakes? Or are some of them created by others and just featured/hosted by the site?

Such projects always interest me, and a section of the new classicamiga wiki is being devoted to featuring such classicamiga community projects and I would like to feature your site as part of that section. And if possible include as much information on the page detailing how the project/site started and who is behind the actual site and the creation of the converted demos.

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @Harrison: here is what Shockwave wrote as a description of how the project started:

This website came into being because Stormbringer made a remake of an Agile crack intro, this was for a competition on another website called dbfinteractive.com, there is a cool place called Flashtro.com where you can go to view excellent flash remakes of past cracktros which are great, but we quickly began to see the value of making stand alone exe versions as well.

These remakes are not meant to replace Flash intros, they never were, however because we have an exe format we are not limited to the capabilities of Flash which means that you can view them in higher resolution and with proper sound emulation. Flash is great to view the intros quickly so it's nice to have both we think.

After we had re-made a few intros, a forum was put in place as a temporary place holder for the remakes, and further along the line, as we approached the 100 remake mark we put this new portal in place because we felt that they deserved a good home and we really saw that there was a gap out there for a web site like this.

We require people to join because this way we can get feedback about the intros, hopefully create a community with some oldschool scene spirit and since registered members can comment, etc, our portal keeps track of what you view, download, comment and vote on so that we can keep accurate tallies of what's been downloaded and also so we can give you some useful info for example letting you know what you havent downloaded for your personal collection yet. It's all good and we hope that you'll enyoy the portal that we made for you. We do take the point that not everyone likes to register for loads of websites but then again, we understand fully that unless you require something of your users then what you do loses its value so there's no point in trying to get us to change our views on registration. If you want to take part, you need to register, if you don't want to register you are missing out on a great place.
    Basically we are old sceners, we were part of some famous groups years (or shall I say decades) ago. Driven by nostalgia of the good old days of the Amiga and bored by the demos/intros released today, Shockwave proposed me to start this site. It's not a competitor or Flashtro.com per se.

Flashtro.com is a site dediated to remaking these little marvels in Flash. Since Flash is limited to "true" programming, the available flashtros are an overview (sometimes more than that) of the actual Amiga intro. For example in Flash, you cannot use the F keys (F1, F2, etc) the right mouse button, etc. These limitations decrease the value of the remake. We fully respect the work of musashi9 @ Flashtro.com but he cannot do better when the tool does not give him the possibilities.

At retro-remakes.net the goal is to remake ALL Amiga cracktros and demos. We have plans for C64 as well. That's roughly 20 years of work full-time. I do not know how we will manage to remake them all, but the small team remaking them is very active.

Basially 4 persons work on the remakes: Shockwave, Rbz, Hellsangel and me. I made about 130 out of 210 and the others remade the remaining ones. I wrote some generic routines to mimic the Amiga video capabilities and hacked a 68000 emulator (SC68) to replay the original music routines in order to remake 1:1 versions of the Amiga prods.

If you need more information, feel free to ask. Let me know how we can help...

You can reference Retro-Remakes.net anytime. Our goal is really to make a portal for Amiga fans and old-sceners as well as new sceners and show them what the greatest machine of all times was capable of