Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Cyclo-Wiz modchip for Wii

And the next modchip release. This modchip looks already more perfect than the outpriced and already "outdated" Wiinja.

Features:

- Quicksolder (no wires required)
    - Plays Wii Backups
    - Plays GC Backups
    - Play GC Homebrew
    - Play GC Imports (swap needed)
    - Built-in Audiofix (GC games using streaming are working flawlessly, no patch needed)
    - DVD-R / DVD+R support
    - Optional chip disable wire
    - Stealth even when chip is enabled
    - Multi-purpose LED

The chip is supposed to be shipped by the end of the week, so in fact this may be the first "real" Modchip to reach the market!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quicksolder (no wires required)?

Does that mean (and looking at the image) that it fits over existing solder points on a wii PCB and solders over the top (where the holes are presumably)?

If so it sounds nice and easy to do.

Again, I won't be chipping my wii anytime soon, but this, as you say, already looks like a step up from the wiinja. Now that I just ordered a flashcart (m3 simply DS) for the DS, I have enough to keep me going for a while - but I am keeping an interested eye on these developments. Thanks for the heads up, Demon Cleaner.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is amazing how fast they are rolling out the modchips for the Wii so soon after its launch. To actually get a working pcb finished so soon is amazing in itself, and to have so many features in a first version of a mod chip is also quite amazing.

The GC imports needing a disc swap seems to be the only negative aspect of this new modchip, and I suspect that swap is actually just something like an action replay disc in the same way as you need to on a real GC to make import games run on a PAL system.

So in the recent poll you were all correct in thinking the Wii would be the first next gen console to be fully modded to run import, backups and homebrew. And less than two months since its launch.

Nintendo must hate the modding and homebrew community

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nintendo must hate the modding and homebrew community
    Hopefully we are not from Nintendo. But it's just the same, if f.ex. every time you update the main/forum site to a new version, there's immediately someone there who hacks it. Would also be very annoying.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A little different though. For a site/forum it is a single unique entity and hacking it will destroy everything related to that project, whereas for a console the standard units remain untouched, with just a few hacked.

Can't quite say the same for Sony though who are now fighting a lost battle against the PSP hackers. Sony should just give up and accept they will always find a way to run homebrew on the PSP, so just let them run homebrew and unsigned code and instead come up with new features that everyone really wants, or make some games that actually use the whole 1.8GB of a UMD. Not many people have a memory stick big enough to hold a 2GB ISO so these games would not be pirated in quite the number existing games are.

Realistically though, I wonder how many of the PSPs sold to date have been hacked with custom firmware? I bet it isn't quite as high as we might think. Many people with PSPs won't be technically capable of downgrading and installing custom firmware.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    @JT

There's already a new fw released for the MS Simply, v1.02

Firmware link

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    @JT

There's already a new fw released for the MS Simply, v1.02

Firmware link
    mmmn I hear about that already, but I don't have the cart yet. I'm very excited about it, especially as I already have the NDS romset from bitgamer all downlaoded and ready to go.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Will be interesting to hear how you get on with the cart once it arrives, and how easy it is to use.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Will be interesting to hear how you get on with the cart once it arrives, and how easy it is to use.
    Yeah, you should definitely keep us informed.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will post about it. Hopefully it'll be here by the weekend so I can give it a good test. From what I hear it's practically drag & drop, sounds quite simple.