Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy Issue with my Amiga 2000, please help!

Hello!
    I recently got my old Amiga 2000 shipped up to my new place of residence after having had it stored in my parents addic for a couple of years. I couldn't wait to try out all the good games from my childhood, but the damn thing won't let me do anything.

It starts up with (sometimes) a couple of colours appearing fullscreen on the monitor (blue or purple/pink-ish). Then it more or less turns black. Both the Amiga and the monitor are on, all lights are on and I can hear it working but it won't respond to anything and there's no sound either. I got alot of pictures of it, both the outside and inside which I will gladly send to anybody interesting at taking a look.

Anyway, is there anybody who can guess why it won't work. Of course it's been lying around for a couple of years so I suppose it might be that it's simply just dead but since it atleast starts up and everything I don't want to give up hope.

Please help! Any help or advise is deeply appretiated!

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unfortunately attics are not a very good place for storing computers as they can be damp. The first thing I would recommend is opening her up and checking out the Mobo. One of the main things is checking the Rom chip. Take it out, clean the contacts with isopropyl alcohol, reseat and try the 2000. Next try cleaning the other connections. Hope this works. Welcome to the site.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, welcome to our boards. First thing I would try would also be "un"dusting it and clean the inside plus the ROMs. Also check if perhaps any connections (on the back of your Amiga) might be lose, especially the video connectors as you get no real signal to your monitor.

Btw, do you hear the sound of the floppy drive (clicking)?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think from memory that a blue screen indicated a faulty custom chipset.

Therefore as already recommended first try removing the kickstart rom chip, cleaning the contacts and chip legs and see if that helps. If that doesn't work next try the same with each of the custom chips in the Amiga. The A2000 has socketed custom chips so this is easy to do. It also makes it easier to replace them if they do fail.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you all, both for the welcome and the help!
    I'll try these things out tomorrow!

I just have two questions.
    Can the amiga take damage of booting up without the "shell" on? (That would save me some time going through the chips etc. and trying to start it.)
    And what excactly is a Rom? ^^

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    As Long as you don't go prodding the motherboard (main PCB in the box) with anything whilst it's switched on then it's fine. The ROM contains all the basic information for your Amiga to work. It's like the BIOS in a PC except better.

I'm not overly confident with the layout of a A2000 so I need someone to confirm it but in the above picture the ROM chip is directly below the big square chip in the middle of the motherboard. It may differ on your A2000 as I don't know which revision of board you have but thats where I think it is on Rev 4.1, 4.3, 5.0, 6.2, 6.3, 6.4.

The other thing to check is to see if the Battery for the clock has leaked, On the picture it's the big green thing at the middle bottom of the board. If it has it'll need to be replaced or at the least cleaned up as it may damage the motherboard.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD