Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Playing through a whole game series

How many of you have to play thought a complete game series to know you have completed it all? I definitely do.

So often I discover a series after at least a couple of sequels, buying into the 3rd or 4th game, and then wondering how it developed and evolved, so then having to go back and find copies of the older games in the series to play.

The biggest genre for this is definitely RPGs. And a good example in the west has to be the Final Fantasy series, with FFVII being the first most people in Europe especially will have seen. And being the 7th game in the series this instantly got a lot of people asking about the previous 6 games and what they were like.

So do you have to complete a whole series of games?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some games I'll try the whole series or at least the games i can get hold of like Zelda or the Goldbox series for the Miggy.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I play the games in no particular order, as often there are already more sequels and I didn't play the previous ones yet. I'm soon gonna play MGS4 but did not finish any of the previous ones. The only series I finished was Xenosaga 1-3, in the correct order. But I guess that was because I began playing the first episode immediately when it was released, and I enjoyed it a lot.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There are obviously some series that do need to really be played in order. Xenosaga is a very good example of this. As is .hack

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    I play the games in no particular order, as often there are already more sequels and I didn't play the previous ones yet. I'm soon gonna play MGS4 but did not finish any of the previous ones. The only series I finished was Xenosaga 1-3, in the correct order. But I guess that was because I began playing the first episode immediately when it was released, and I enjoyed it a lot.

Ahh ... too bad you didn't finish the other Metal Gears (didn't finish MGS3 myself). I'd recommend at least playing through Metal Gear Solid 1 (or view a compilation video of the cutscenes). MGS4 will have much more emotional impact that way.

As for the question, I guess I will play through a whole series if the stories are interconnected, if I liked the first game AND if any follow-ups aren't blatant cash-ins, (sloppily) designed only to make a quick buck.

I've considered playing through earlier episodes of a game after finishing a sequel (Shadow Hearts: Covenant), simply because the sequel was so good.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    WHAT! U haven't played the others? SHAME!
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Submeg View Post
    WHAT! U haven't played the others? SHAME!
    I know, I know. But with so many games to play and no time, it's rather difficult to play everything. And as I'm almost playing RPGs all the time, the other ones come a bit short.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yea fair enough, I know what you mean
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There are definitely too many great games being released to ever be able to play them all. And at the moment there are a large number of really good ones just released making it very hard to choose what to play.

However, regarding MGS. You really should set aside some time to play the first PSX game as in my opinion it was the best one.

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ahum, what about Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake then?
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]