Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fallout 3

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ghost, you completely missed the point of my argument. I'm not talking in terms of the game mechanics and styles that I like. I actually prefer SRPGs like Front Mission 3, Vandal Hearts, FFT, Disgaea... etc compared to real time combat systems. However I was talking about the marketability of such games in today's marketplace, and you have to be realistic and agree that SRPG's and TBS style games do not sell well compared to first person real time combat games. Publishers and Developers need to make a profit, and so this is how it has to be, especially with a franchise this large and this expected. And for one that was being cross platform developed.

But quite frankly, at the end of the day Fallout 3 is just a game, and a very good game at that. Just play the game. I bet you might even enyoy it!

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads

Chill out, folks. It's just a game.

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I probably may depress the Joker with my Fallout anger to the point that he will shoot me just so that he doesn't shoot himself to end it all.

Bethesda should simply have ignored Fallout, it did not needed to be rescued by them, it wasn't that big.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    When any film or game series gains a cult following it becomes big news to potential future profit from remakes or sequels. Anything with a cult following is guaranteed to generate income.

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My feelings towards Fallout 3 are not positive. The reason is that I've been into Fallout for many years and it hurts me to see what Bethesda has done.

Fallout 3 looks like Oblivion-with-guns were the main ingredients are stuff like "bloody mess" and the "fat man".

I don't agree that isometric view is outdated and wouldn't sell. Why does everything has to be in FPS? Check out the screenshots and videos for Diablo 3 by Blizzard to see an alternative that works well!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you actually played Fallout 3 yet PG?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to agree with PG I it is just Oblivion-with-guns. Having played all the fallout games. This is missing a lot of the dark humor the early games had.

Bethesda has no experience making SRPGs that the reason this is an FPS. The marketing has played a important part in this game sales. Had the first fallout had this kind of marketing then it would have sold 3 times as much.

Black isle where working on a third game when they got shut down. I think going more like Neverwinter Nights would have been the way.

As Harrison said it's a very good game. It's just not fallout
    A500 1/1
    A1200 1/1

Project X rules

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The fact that they changed from strategy game to FPS will not implicitly mean this isn't a Fallout game. The setting, the story and everything around still shows that it's Fallout. The fact that they changed it to FPS has imo nothing to do with that.

And, as Harrison already mentioned, the change from SRPG to FPS is just something they did to sell more copies as I think the demand for FPS is much higher. I also would have preferred an isometric SRPG like its predecessors, but that will not mean that I won't try this one out.

I never got into FPS because I didn't like the gameplay, but as I finished Resistance and Call of Duty 4, I slowly began to like FPS and was stunned by the great graphics and atmosphere of these games. So I ordered Fallout 3 and will definitely play it.

I would also like to see a new Jagged Alliance or a worthy sequel of the X-Com series, as that kind of games were my all time favorites, but nothing of that kind got released anymore. They tried a few UFO (X-Com) sequels but they all were crap. They also wanted to release a new Jagged Alliance some time ago, but they wanted to switch to 3D, which already made me

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been playing a bit of Fallout 3 and it is a good game in its own right. Anyone who has played Oblivion will instantly recognise some key aspects such as the way characters interact and conversations are conducted.

I think the one thing that does feel a bit flat to me so far is the character interaction. There are a lot of people to meet and talk to. Thinks to ask, information to be gained (using special abilities to try and get cheaper information or more information). However the characters feel a little flat to me. Their personalities are not that unique or individual (that I've encountered so far).

Apart from that I'm liking the game. The wasteland is very nicely created with loads to explore and interact with. Lots of areas that are not even key to anything... just like finding a cave in Oblivion, in FF3 you come across buildings and find them occupied by raiders so you investigate and end up in a shoot out before discovering something inside.

The combat system is also quite nice. Very easy to implement. Just give V to activate the VATS system, select the target and body parts, queuing up actions until you run out of Action points, hit E and watch it unfold. It's not perfect but ti does work well because you get to initially work out your targets and a bit of tactics, but when the points run out you are returned to real time first person combat and the panic sets in as everything speeds up again. It does create a good combat atmosphere.

This is definitely an RPG more than a FPS. You get a lot of missions and quests to do. Loads of items to collect and weapons to find. You can also make weapons once you buy schematics and have the parts, and your weapons degrade and wear out, with out needing to repair them by borrowing parts from another identical weapon.

I'm liking the game. And I think everyone should put aside the fact it is called Fallout and just give it a true. If you've ever enjoyed Oblivion or many of the recent FPS games you will like it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post

And, as Harrison already mentioned, the change from SRPG to FPS is just something they did to sell more copies as I think the demand for FPS is much higher. I also would have preferred an isometric SRPG like its predecessors, but that will not mean that I won't try this one out.
    I never said changing it to a FPS would effect gameplay. Now I work in the industry the sad truth is the change from SRPG to FPS was made due to time and cost. Bethesda would have had to build a new game engine which would have cost millions to make or license one from another developer which is also very expensive. After they paid 20 million for the fallout license. It something they could not afford to do. So they use what they know the havok engine to make a FPS RPG.

It's a sad reflection on the times we live in but cost is the main factor in games development now.
    A500 1/1
    A1200 1/1

Project X rules