Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Headphone recomendations

I am really in need of a new pair of headphones. I have two pairs of Sony headphones, niether of which are too good. One pair came with my walkman in 2001 and the other pair came with my Mum's CD Walkman in 2002. I think I may be due a new Walkman in the future as the headphone socket on mine seems to have problems.

The best pair of headphones I have are the ones that came with my Mum's tape Walkman in the mid nineties. Unfortunately one of the speakers decided to stop working.

Does anyone have any recomendations for in ear headphones that sound good and arn't too expensive?

BTW, I am not looking for anything that does noise cancelling or anything as I like to be able to hear people talking to me (sometimes )

Thanks
    Steve

I just get the Matsui-type ones from HMV, about £6.99, whenever I need a new pair. I have a very acute trained musical ear and they still do the job nicely.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    For a long time my favourite headphones were the ones that came with my original monochrome Game Boy.

Now I've got some of those sony ones that have the rubber cups that wedge in to the ears. Great sound, possibly a bit too bassy but that's OK for me as I like bass. Because they plug the ears, eating with them in is totally out, and they block out most external sounds. These, and the price (between 20-30 quid) probably mean they aren't for you, Steve. They are MDEX71s I think (off the top of my head).

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Best headphones to get are from Sennheiser. It doesn't matter if they are in earbud or larger types. They all sound great and even the smaller headphones they produce have decent bass response, unlike most that tend to sound a bit tinny.

The earbud ones I have are Sennheiser MX500's.

And as you can see, Sennheiser earbud headphones also come in a really cool useful case that is circular and lets you wind the cable up neatly, using an underside winding system, so it never gets tangled up or in a mess.

And while retail price is £19.99, Amazon co.uk currently have them for £5.99.

But if you wanted to get really great sound then I highly recommend the larger full Sennheiser headphones. I have some Sennheiser PX 100's and they sound amazing. The bass and clarity of sound is amazing compared to other headphones I've owned in the past. These are not noise cancelling and are foam pad open design (not cupped) so you never get that pressure feeling as you can with full cupped sealed headphones.

These PX100's also have a really cool fold up design, allowing you to fold the headband down in a cross over way much like glasses folded, and the headphone part folds 45 degrees, and they then fit in the included case which is the same size and shape as a glasses case. So they are quite portable.

These are however more expensive at about £29.

Sennheiser also do a CX earbud range that are more like the Sony one's JT mentioned.

Take a look at the official site here.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is £20 quite a lot to pay for headphones then? I'd have quite happily paid that. I will definately have a look at the senheiser ones. Thanks for the recomendations.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I personally think those Sennheiser are good enough to be worth the full retail price. However, being able to get them cheaper is always good.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    For portability I use a pair of Sony's MDR-410 - these are foldable like the Sennheiser's Harrison mentioned and retail for about £15 I think.

When size isn't an issue, I use a pair of Sennheiser HD202. Way too bulky for what you want, but I'd definately consider a pair of mini-headphones over earphones if you can.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I always used Sennheiser, they're great quality, although I never used earbud ones, only used some from Sony, and even Bose.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I opted for the HD202s to use at home and the CX300 for portable ones. The HD202 have excellent sound quality, although they could be a bit bigger. I got the CX300 as I decided that the noise cancelling would be quite useful. The don't sound as good as the HD202s.

Dangerous Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I use the Senheizer PX 100's that Harrison has posted a pic of.
    They truly are the best set of headphones ever made