Mostly Harmless Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Copied discs: Unable to verify!

Is there any hope for a disc when this happens?!

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Copied disks? As in a copied Amiga game? You can often recover such disks using programs like X-Copy Pro. I used to do that quite often by making a nibble copy of a disk with errors and the copy produced often fixed the problems.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Copied disks? As in a copied Amiga game? You can often recover such disks using programs like X-Copy Pro. I used to do that quite often by making a nibble copy of a disk with errors and the copy produced often fixed the problems.
    Yeah all the copied games i have (incl. the ones you sent me a few years back!) are all coming up with an unable to verify message.

I wouldnt know where to start with the rest of the things you just said hahaha

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah, do you mean ADFs? Or the DVD-R's the games are on? If you can't read the DVD-Rs I can do you another set of discs and post them to you. But these days you can also quite easily download whole TOSEC Amgia sets from a few different places, plus the french site planetemu.net has a near complete collection of Amiga ADFs to download one game at a time.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I mean amiga floppies. I have been reading the other thread about formatting amiga disks in XP. So in theory, i can format the disks which arent working, put the adf file on there and then use them on the amiga?!

lol, i feel like a kid in school who is always asking stupid questions

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, you can transfer ADF files back to the Amiga and then write them back onto real floppy disks. However you cannot read or write Amiga formatted floppy disks on a PC. You first need to transfer the ADFs over to the Amiga and then use a utility to write the ADF back onto a real floppy disk.

The tranfer the ADF from the PC to an Amiga using a floppy disk you will need to use double density floppy disks formatted at 720KB PC disks. You will then need to compress the 880KB ADF file to fit it onto the 720KB PC formatted floppy disk. This can sometimes be a problem. The Amiga compression file formats LHA or LHZ can be used quite easily, however you can also install utilities to handle ZIP on the Amiga if needed.

Have a look on aminet for some unzipping utilities here.

And once on the Amiga end you can then uncompress the file back into an ADF ready to write it back onto a floppy disk. I highly recommend the program ADFBlitzer to write the ADFs back onto floppy disks. You can download this program from aminet here.

Hope that makes sense.

Another alternative is to buy a copy of Amiga Explorer from Cloanto and connect your PC to your Amiga via a serial nul modem cable. You then install the Amiga Explorer software on both systems and can access the Amiga floppy drive directly from the PC. Put a floppy disk in the Amiga's drive, and drag and drop an ADF into the drive on the PC, and the software automatically copies the adf over to the Amiga and writes it to the disk. Nice software but it is commercial and so costs money. Amiga Explorer can be purchased alone or as part of the Amiga Forever package from Cloanto.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    right ok, think i can follow that! THANKS!

Just waiting on the mouse now!! (auction ends tomorrow)