Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Vintage gamer and metal head LowercaseE's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

WinUAE sound not quite right

I've always noticed that the sound emulation in WinUAE lags a bit behind the video time wise. It's not a MAJOR problem, per se, but it can get rather annoying when playing fast paced games like Pinball Dreams or something and having the sounds occur a noticeable amount of time after the ball hits something. Is there any way to get it more in sync? If not, it's not the end of the world, but it would be nice.
    --------DO NOT SUPPORT LIONSGATE FILMS-------

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Think it's something to do with the sound buffer - try reducing it (Options: Host,Sound,Sound Buffer Size). Mine's set at 3 (120ms) and I don't notice a delay.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alexj2002 View Post
    Think it's something to do with the sound buffer - try reducing it (Options: Host,Sound,Sound Buffer Size). Mine's set at 3 (120ms) and I don't notice a delay.
    Just tried it and it worked great! Thanks for the advice. It was set at 4 default so I moved it to 3 and walla! Wonder why it's set so "off" to begin with. Maybe for slower machines?

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by LowercaseE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexj2002 View Post
    Just tried it and it worked great! Thanks for the advice. It was set at 4 default so I moved it to 3 and walla! Wonder why it's set so "off" to begin with. Maybe for slower machines?
    Suppose it must be - better to have perfect sound that's a bit slow (perhaps not even noticable for some people) than stuttering sound at the right time.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it depends on the sound card/sound processor in the PC being used, as to which setting is best for the WinUAE sound buffer size.

Some sound cards just have different ways of processing the audio data so reducing the buffer will just mean smaller chunks of audio data are processed before being passed to the audio processor for output. The lag is caused when a larger buffer takes too long to process.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was reading on the WinUAE site and they recommend a setting of 3 or higher. Even at 3 there is a very small amount of lag (120ms to be exact) but it's BARELY noticable, and probably only then if you're specifically looking for it. There are also settings of 1 (50ms) and 2 (70ms) but I have yet to try them. Maybe later when I get home from work.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had that problem too back in the early days....that's why with each game that I played regularly I made config file for each, as some games needed more tweaking than others.
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've now found that Pinball Dreams has choppy play/sound with the buffer set to 3 so I took a chance and set it to 2 and it works great. I guess it's kind of a crap shoot depending on the game. A setting of 4 or higher seems to work good for anything but for fast paced games the lag can get annoying.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Out of interest, what speed is the PC you are running WinUAE on?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Out of interest, what speed is the PC you are running WinUAE on?
    It's an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with 1GB of RAM and a 256MB Radeon video card. I've got to imagine that's plenty fast to run it.