Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Suggestions for classicWB GAAE

Having used the classicWB GAAE setup on my A600 I've been very impressed with the configuration. It is much better than the setup I used to be using on my A600's HD.

However because it is based on the other more advanced WB3 based classicWB setups it is missing a few things found in the packages for the AGA machines, and sometimes you might find something doesn't quite work correctly.

Therefore if you have suggestions for the GAAE version of ClassicWB please post them here.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Dangerous Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is it possible to find an old Scalos version that works with WB2.0?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I will start things off myself with a couple of suggestions.

Multiview

Firstly most WHDLoad installs in the KGWHD packs include readme and manual files. These are all setup to load in Multiview. However Multiview is a WB3+ only utility so when you try to open them in the GAAE setup on an A600 it can't find the utility and you get an error.

I've been looking on Aminet and there seem to be some Multiview replacements available that work with WB2.04+. I'm going to give these a try later and if one of them looks good enough I will give details here and suggest it should be included in the next version of the GAAE package.

Floppy drive no click utility

I don't know if it is just my A600, but the anticlick utility included with ClassicWB GAAE doesn't stop my A600's floppy drive from clicking.

There are a number of other no click utilities available on Aminet so I'm going to try them out and see if any work for my A600. I will post details once I've tested them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Multiview

Firstly most WHDLoad installs in the KGWHD packs include readme and manual files. These are all setup to load in Multiview. However Multiview is a WB3+ only utility so when you try to open them in the GAAE setup on an A600 it can't find the utility and you get an error.
    There's a WB1.3 and above compatible version of AmigaGuide, which came on the AmigaOS developement kit CD. I can supply if required.

I've been looking on Aminet and there seem to be some Multiview replacements available that work with WB2.04+. I'm going to give these a try later and if one of them looks good enough I will give details here and suggest it should be included in the next version of the GAAE package.
    Proabably a better idea than just plain ol' AmigaGuide

Floppy drive no click utility

I don't know if it is just my A600, but the anticlick utility included with ClassicWB GAAE doesn't stop my A600's floppy drive from clicking.

There are a number of other no click utilities available on Aminet so I'm going to try them out and see if any work for my A600. I will post details once I've tested them.
    Some floppy drives don't quite work with no click utilities. On my drive in my A600 (before it got replaced with a new drive due to failure), all anti-click utilities did, was make the clicking quieter, not stop it completely.

Also, yet again - WB2 version of Scalos?

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, the GAAE version is behind some of the other packs, but that's because I started from scratch using Paul's setup and didn't want to alter his choices too much. It will get development time when I get around to it.

Hmmmm. I thought I'd handled the Multiview issue by renaming AmigaGuide executable "MultiView". Must have forgot! Just clone AmigaGuide and rename it MultiView - that will solve the problem. I may find a replacement as you said for the next release.

That's how I handled all those third party viewers messing up my other ClassicWB packs. I replaced the old reader executables (eg more) with a renamed MultiView, so they always opened in a nice standard window.

The drive clicking - yes I'll replace that with another utility if we can confirm it's better than AntiClick, which is only 198 bytes!!!!!

Scalos is only for Workbench 3.0+, and would be quite slow on a 68000 as well I'd imagine.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
    Scalos is only for Workbench 3.0+, and would be quite slow on a 68000 as well I'd imagine.
    I can understand that, I've just got quite used to Scalos now.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Are there any similar alternatives to Scalos that are WB2+?

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by woody.cool View Post
    I can understand that, I've just got quite used to Scalos now.
    So have I. Can't use an Amiga without it if it's available. It is a shame, as it would also make my job easier as I could just port everything across!

There is not an alternative to Scalos for WB2 and 68000's. It's basically a better OS running on top of Workbench.

By the way, the next ClassicWB releases are going to have some great new features, including a proper bootmenu with the option of going straight into KillerGorilla's fullscreen WHDload launcher!
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    By the way, the next ClassicWB releases are going to have some great new features, including a proper bootmenu with the option of going straight into KillerGorilla's fullscreen WHDload launcher!
    That sounds really nice. Looking forward to seeing that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
    NICE