Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Drive anti click utilities

Which floppy drive anti click utility do you use with your Amigas?

The Anticlick utility included with classicwb gaae doesn't seem to work on my A600. It is in the C directory and the entry is in the ser-startup, but the drive continues to click. Any ideas why?

I used to use a different one years ago that worked. It might have been called noclick but I'm not sure. I will have to have a look on my A4000's HD when I get chance and see.

What one do you use?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I used to use MCP but being as i rarely use my FDD I use "bed in front of the slot" and that covers up any noise it makes.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    noclick rings a bell. I think it had a splash screen when loading - that will need suppressing if so!

Let me know when you find one that works and I'll update the pack. Anticlick works on my A1200, but perhaps it needs Workbech 3.0 (unlikely) or an 020 (again would seem strange). I only thought it had problems with certain older disk drives, but it looks like it isn't the ideal solution for all Amiga models and drives.

The docs to Anticlick are so sparse it doesn't say anything useful, so I just assumed it was universal with no A600 to test.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OK. I will test the available ones out tomorrow and let you know which works and is the smallest (always good to save disk space).

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi there, me uses since ages clicknot worx fine for me.

Dangerous Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I use ToggleClick which is part of SuperDuper disk copier.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you both for the recommendations. I hadn't heard of either of those before.

The Clicknot one looks good. Only 348 bytes and it can be run on WB2 and 3 from the CLI, WB and also the WBStartup draw, which is good. And it is only 348 bytes in size. I will give that a try first.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Could they be something wrong with my A600's internal floppy drive?

I've now tried a few different noclick programs from Aminet and the drive continues to click with them all.

I remember I stopped the clicking on the drive before with a similar program. It's probably still on my old external archos HD. I will have to dig that out and take a look.

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If your drive is working fine apart from not playing ball with a noclick utility, I'd say it's fine - just not compatible with the software.

As a final solution. there is a utility on Aminet that allows you to totally disable the internal drive when not in use, freeing up a small amount of resources in the process.

When you need the drive again, you just enable it. I can't remember it's name at the moment, but I saw it yesterday while browsing around Aminet for noclick utilities so it can't be hard to find.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    After trying out all of the no click utilties I've reached the conclusion that the drive is clicking less when any of the no click utilities are active. If I disable then the drive is noticeably louder. However it does still click. Very odd as it used to stop clicking completely with such a utility years ago with the original setup.

Of course I could use the other method of stopping it from clicking. Just keep a blank disk in the drive!