Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RF cables

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    What'll probably happen by then is that someone creates a dongle to plug in the back of your HDTV so that you can plug in the RF cable so you'll be able to play Pong on a 60" High Def TV with MYEB (makes your ears bleed) surround sound thinking they don't make games like this any more.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Modern retro TVs. Maybe there is a market for it?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by woody.cool View Post
    I'm not 100% sure, but I reckon you could modify the Atari 2600 to output composite instead of RF. I know this is doable with the Spectrum, so I reckon it'll be doable with other machines.
    I expect you should be able to do, as the RF output ought to be a composite video signal which has just been RF modulated. So if you remove the RF modulator you will be able to get a composite signal.

Harrison: There will probably be stuff about 625 line televisions in the future. I have already seen plenty of sites about 405 line televisions, including things like how to use a VHS recorder to record and playback 405 line pictures, stuff about converters, so you can watch 625 line programmes on a 405 line set, etc.

A big difference between now, and maybe 30 or more years ago, is that we have lots of peripherals to connect to televisions. Back in the 1950s, you might be quite lucky to have just a television set, but it is unlikely you would have had anything to connect to it. Over the last 20 years we have had all sorts like camcorders, VCRs, consoles.

The VCR certainly isn't going to go away completely. People for a long time will have old recordings on VHS (be it home movies or TV recordings). It is for this reason that VCRs will still have to be avaliable for a long time, and TVs will have to support them. If in a few years, a posh HDTV doesn't have a SCART socket, how will people watch what their old videos, or even DVDs? The DVDs would be viewable if you had a HDDVD player or something, but I can't see people having several of these for a long time, so if you got the HDTV for the bedroom where you just have a bog standard DVD player, you will need to be able to connect it.

So, even if the TV doesn't have an analogue tuner, it would still likely have SCART or composite input.

Quote Originally Posted by Cortona View Post
    'Old' analogue TVs will become as collectable as vintage computers and other vintage electronica; although their joints do tend to dry out so I guess it will help to be handy with a soldering iron!

If only somebody made modern flat-wide-screen TVs in the same presentational style as the old TVs with the wooden (teak?) casing. So stylish, and very much in keeping with the old Atari 2600s.
    Are you refering to that design on an LCD/Plasma TV? If so, that would just look silly, also it would be too thin. You'd hardly be able to see the wood. If they continued to make such TVs with CRTs then that would be fine.
    Last edited by Stephen Coates; 7th October 2008 at 13:37. Reason: Double posting - posts have been automerged

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I imagined it would be really retro in design with a completely wooden case and push button controls, with the LCD panel inset into an old style beveled surround. Other than the much better image quality and the unit nit being as deep it would look quite authentic.

Or you could even go one better. Much like MAME cabinets built from old Arcade cabinets, you could gut an original wooden TV cabinet and fit an LCD inside. In fact if I even get a house big enough to have a dedicated workshop/experiments room then I would be really tempted to do that just for the fun of it.

Back to TV connections. I don't see Scart being removed from TV sets for some time. The reason is because it is a connector solution for all types of analogue signal. Composite, RGB, Component, and stereo (+ prologic surround). Therefore I think manfuacturers will keep a scart socket for backwards compatibility and HDMI for digital. That way they get the best of both worlds without needing to resort to hundreds of different connectors on the back.

Although, saying that you should see the new 19" Samsung HDTV we have in the bedroom. It is every connection type you could think of. On the left hand edge it has S-Video, Composite and phono audio connectors. Then on the back it has VGA, DVI, HDMI, Scart, component and more. Really well connected.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember the pain of having a console rf cable with a faulty TV/game switch so pictures would keep cutting out unless the tiny box was at the right angle and without any pressure on the cables, and the switch set just so.

Those were the days.... Actually, they were a bit shit really weren't they?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It wasn't a ZX Spectrum was it?

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it might have been a Master System (2, for what it's worth).

We did have a speccy too. Can't remember many problems with that.

One thing I did think was kind of neat was having a flap on the little 'portable' telly and a tuning socket under each programme/channel number and a little orange tool to adjust the tuning. Wonderfully tactile, not like these souless on screen menus.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Some of the TVs my family had when I was younger were like that, with each channel having its own tuning control.

One TV I remember well was when my parents upgraded their rented TV from a smallish one to one that was about 26". At the time that was huge! It had an all wooden polished cabinet and I remember thinking how cool it was to have 8 channel selectors on the front. Each was a touch button but different to modern touch buttons. These were metal with a gap down the middle of the button, so touching them bridged the gap and passed the current across your finger. To tune the channels you pulled under the touch buttons and the whole row of buttons pulled out to reveal a tuning dial behind each. Quite a strange design.

Dangerous Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Spectrums had really bad RF modulators in them, the RF signal used to drift once the machine got a bit hot, so you could be in the middle of a game and the TV would 'appear' to de-tune itself, problem wasn't the TV but the RF modulator 'drifting'

Harrison: I've got to admit, the current line of Samsung TVs are superb for connectivity, they have just about every connector imaginable.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    whole row of buttons pulled out to reveal a tuning dial behind each. Quite a strange design.
    We had one like that too, the whle block just sort of slid out. It was odd, but kind of cool.