Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loom

Mostly Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Loom

Hello fellow Amiganiacs! I have just downloaded my .adf's for this game. However, at Workbench, there is no option for this to be installed on my virtual harddrive. If you open up Floppy Disk #1, you see an icon that reads "LOOM", and you see an icon that says "Rooms". If you double click "LOOM", it just starts the game from floppy, there is no option to hard install it. If you click on "Rooms", it opens to another icon that says, "Loom 1 Rooms Here". If you double click THAT icon, it says, "Could not open tool, Loom 1 Rooms Here". I know this can be Harddrive installed, it says so in the game's manual. But a shittier manual there never has been, does not tell you HOW to install it to harddrive. I guess your supposed to guess how it's done. Rediculous for a company like Lucas Arts to leave something like that out. Anyways, I thought of copying everything over to the harddrive, thought maybe once clicked there, they would give you an option to install, but no. I have done alot of searches on net about this, and found 0 things. Anyone here ever play Loom? Can anyone help me to get this Harddrive installed? Thanks in advance!

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Goto this page and you will find several WHDLoad versions of Loom. Choose which one you want, download, unzip and then run. If you look on the WHDownload they have a lot of complete WHDLoad installs. If you want something that's not listed there then follow the link to KGWHD and download some of the latest packs.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think if I remember correctly you can just copy the Loom files manually to your HD and it will work.

Just create a new directory/folder/drawer on your Amiga HD/virtual HD. Call it Loom, or whatever you want. Then rather than dragging the files in Workbench I recommend you copy using the Amiga shell as this will make sure you copy all of the files to the HD. To do this open a new shell window (go to the Workbench/Execute command menu item and type newcli). Then once in the new shell window use the copy command to copy over the disk contents.

For example if your HD was DH0: and the directory was called Loom then you would type:

copy DF0: to DH0:Loom all

Make sure you include the word all at the end of the command otherwise it will only copy the contents of the current directlry level across and not the contents of any directories.

If there are more than one disk repeat for each. Once complete you can then load the game using the Loom icon in the HD Loom directory.

If while loading a game you have copied to HD workbench asks for a disk to be inserted this will mean you will need to add some assigns to tell workbench and the game where to look instead of asking for the disk each time. To do this type the command ed s:user-startup into either a shell window or the Workbench/Execute command entry. Then once the user-startup file has loaded you can add a line near the top of the file.

To assign a disk to an HD directory add the line as follows. Assuming the HD directory is DH0:Loom and the floppy disk being asked for is Loom1: then you would add:

Assign Loom1: DH0:Loom

Then after rebooting the Amiga/emulator the game will know where to look.

I hope that helps and made sense.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep. Thanks for both you guy's help. It did make sense, and will give it a shot. I'll let you know!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you are really lazy you could just boost the emulators disk read speed. This can cause instability and crashes though.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I always set the speed at maximum, and it mostly works. If a game doesn't start, just reduce the speed to 100% again and reset.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I think if I remember correctly you can just copy the Loom files manually to your HD and it will work.

Just create a new directory/folder/drawer on your Amiga HD/virtual HD. Call it Loom, or whatever you want. Then rather than dragging the files in Workbench I recommend you copy using the Amiga shell as this will make sure you copy all of the files to the HD. To do this open a new shell window (go to the Workbench/Execute command menu item and type newcli). Then once in the new shell window use the copy command to copy over the disk contents.

For example if your HD was DH0: and the directory was called Loom then you would type:

copy DF0: to DH0:Loom all

Make sure you include the word all at the end of the command otherwise it will only copy the contents of the current directlry level across and not the contents of any directories.

If there are more than one disk repeat for each. Once complete you can then load the game using the Loom icon in the HD Loom directory.

If while loading a game you have copied to HD workbench asks for a disk to be inserted this will mean you will need to add some assigns to tell workbench and the game where to look instead of asking for the disk each time. To do this type the command ed s:user-startup into either a shell window or the Workbench/Execute command entry. Then once the user-startup file has loaded you can add a line near the top of the file.

To assign a disk to an HD directory add the line as follows. Assuming the HD directory is DH0:Loom and the floppy disk being asked for is Loom1: then you would add:

Assign Loom1: DH0:Loom

Then after rebooting the Amiga/emulator the game will know where to look.

I hope that helps and made sense.
    Sorry, haven't been here, in like, forever. I was able to copy the disks to hard drive. Now I'm stuck at editing my user file. The program does asked for the disk, even though it's on the hard drive. Whever I type your command you have there <I'm reading it as: ed s:user-startup>, nothing happens and i get a software error and have to reboot. Am I gettting the code wrong?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That command should work fine. You can instead add the assigns for the disks the game is asking for into the startup-sequence file instead. Load that by typing "ed s:startup-sequence" and do the same as I mentioned above, adding an Assign command for each game disk to point the game to the location on the HD.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, this is what I do. I load up Workbench 1.3. I double click the Workbench icon. I then double click Shell. I then put in ed s:user-startup. I then get a "Software failure. 87000004". I tried the other one as well, ed s:startup-sequence. Same thing I'm afraid. I don't know how to do or where it's at, the Workbench/Execute Command, so haven't tried that. Do you know what my problem would be?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyone?