Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

I was a Vegemite Virgin

Always been a Marmite man. Tried Vegemite for the first time the other day so I thought I'd share my opinion with anyone unfamiliar with it.

On dipping my knife in it became obvious that Vegemite is considerably more viscous than Marmite, with a consistency and spreadability akin to chocolate spread. Once smeared onto buttered toast - my testing platform - it was ready for tasting, and to my surprise it had a less saline flavour than Marmite. This was reflected in the ingredients list: 3.5g per 100g versus 3.9g. Overall it has a similar but more subtle flavour, which is no bad thing given that Marmite can be a little over-powering for some (hence the 'you love or you hate it' branding).

In conclusion I think I will probably stick with Marmite as I'm already used to its 'salt kick'. It's also slightly easier to spread. Vegemite, however, is a good substitute.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Isn't Vegemite originally from Australia?

And from the name am I assuming correctly that Marmite contains animal based extracts, whilst Vegemite is completely vegetable based?

BTW, I'm from the hate it brigade! If one of my family has used the same knife before me to make a Marmite sandwich, and then I use the knife to spread some butter I can still taste it, and it is horrible!

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Marmite is a by-product of the brewing industry. It's made from yeast extract. As the largest area for brewing was Burton-on-Trent that is where the Marmite factory is based. Marmite is better than Vegemite because the Australians could never brew a decent beer so they had to use something different. Bovril is the one that's a by-product of the Beef industry. I only know this because Staffordshire has bugger all industry so it's always good to know what your options are.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah yes, Bovril.

So that raises another question. Marmite or Bovril? Which is better? (only if you like this type of thing obviously).

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Ah yes, Bovril.

So that raises another question. Marmite or Bovril? Which is better?
    A kick in the balls by Johnny Wilkinson.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Buleste View Post
    Marmite is better than Vegemite because the Australians could never brew a decent beer so they had to use something different.
    Yea, our beers do suck. Even New Zealand beer is better!
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bovril... The devil's bum gravy.

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Marmite? Vegemite? Sounds like brands of glue to me. From the way you talk about it I get the impression I'm not that far off..

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    Marmite? Vegemite? Sounds like brands of glue to me. From the way you talk about it I get the impression I'm not that far off..
    Glue is much nicer than Marmite, Vegemite and Bovril. In fact Polonium 210 is much nicer than Marmite, Vegemite and Bovril and is better for you because you can never have it twice.

Now if we're talking about eating glue I recommend a cheap PVA as the best. Slides down nicely and because it's water based it doesn't do any damage.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD