Thread: C programming

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads

C programming

Has anyone here done any C programming?

I was looking at some of the languages I could learn for my college project and I chose to use either BASIC (probably VisualBasic) or C.

The teacher at college says that C is quite hard to learn, and one of the other students in the class who had learnt C many years ago described it as a 'piece of piss', and leant me some books on VB3, VB6, C, and C++.

I am going to start looking through the C book soon and will probably do it in MS-DOS as that would be the most suitable system for doing my college project in.

I also want to learn some programming in the Amiga and was looking at a couple of websites about C on the amiga, so some of the stuff in these books might be applicable on there as well.

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you're going to try C on the Amiga then Download StormC as that has the best help guide and is the most PC like in it's display.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Deadly Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    C is a beautiful language, and one I love, (with C++ of course)

you will find it far more beneficial than visual basic.

there are many FREE compilers and IDE's (integrated developer environments) and a wealth of help online and with google and many forums theres plenty of help.

I used to lecture C at the local college here where I live and it can be difficult but so worth the effort
    If i had a hammer, I would hammer in the morning, i would hammer in the evening, i would hammer all day

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yea C is nice and easy, definately worth learning. I have to use Pascall to do my robot!
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Done a bit of C, and would suggest it'd suit you fine Steve - it's more 'complex' than other languages, but I suspect like me you'd prefer that, as it's easier to understand why things are happening even if it's a bit more code to make them happen.

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would also go for C, Steve, as VB is specific to Microsoft and you want to program the Amiga as well. I always found C easier than VB.

The language I had to use for my main programming course a uni was Ada. Really useful if you want to program nuclear missile guidance systems for a career! Not so useful when looking for non-military employment.

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Cortona View Post
    The language I had to use for my main programming course a uni was Ada. Really useful if you want to program nuclear missile guidance systems for a career! Not so useful when looking for non-military employment.
    Have you thought about terrorism? It's a growing market and you don't have to be all that accurate with the guidence calculations either.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Degree in terrorism. I always find it mad when courses teach specific languages that are not mainstream.

I also agree with everyone else Steve. C is the way to go as it is the language most used professionally. Most games, OSs and applications are coded in it. Even Workbench!

By contrast VB isn't a good language. It uses non standard syntax and is locked into Microsoft products. It is also not free. If for example you utilised VB for making websites via ASP then you would not be able to run the ASP scripts for free as you would with PHP, but instead would need to buy a license to run a Microsoft based Windows server. Not nice.

C is also a great language to learn as the syntax is very similar to many other languages. Java, Javascript, PHP, actionscript etc... all slightly different and all a bit easier that C itself, but learn C and you can pick any others up quite easily.

Regarding MSDOS. You don't need to use MSDOS and I wouldn't advise it. But you can still code C programs to run in the commandline of XP or any other NT based OS, or Linux just fine and it is more stable than DOS.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the information everyone. I have started doing some of the examples in the C book. I have entered them in using nano and compiled them using GCC on Linux. I wasn't sure what compiler to use in DOS/Windows, so i thought i would use GCC in Linux because my linux installation is bound to have it installed. It didn't so I attempted to install it using Aptitude only to find that it wanted it to be installed from the CD which I had lost. I eventually managed to configure it to install stuff from the internet.

Harrison: MS-DOS is essential for this project. At least for testing it. NT could be used but that would be a very big inconveniance since accessing the parallel port in NT would appear to be rather difficult. MS-DOS will be necessary for testing because I would rather just get on with testing to find out if the hardware that i am going to make actually functions as it should, rather than messing about trying to get past Windows NT/the >386's security thingies. I think if I were to make it run on a more modern OS I would just use Linux.

Of course Linux and NT will probably be more than suitable for stuff that doesn't require access to the I/O ports.