Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    MorphOS2 should run. There is also a version of E-UAE for OS4 so if you wanted to run amiga software that is the other option. Most of the later games will run but no WHDLoad (unless in eUAE). TBH IMO i cannot see any reason to but the SAM other than as something to play around with but then if you want to do that get a BPPC and run OS4 classic. It won't be as fast but it'll be more versatile.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Very true, but we are all really just running Amigas these days to play around anyway. Any investment in OS4 is expensive for anyone who doesn't yet have the hardware capable of running it.

For classic Amigas you would need to pay out at least £300 for a decent PPC accelerator these days from ebay, and then you would need to do a tower conversion, and either source a Blizzard graphics card, or upgrade to a mediator or similar PCI solution and then a graphics card. In total this could end up costing much more than the SAM.

Granted a classic Amiga upgraded to PPC does have the advantage of being able to run classic 68K software as well as OS4 and other PPC software. However with the SAM you could just have an A1200 too for older software and games.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lets see the choice is :- A towered 1200 with either an 040 or 060 with a PPC and a graphics card running OS4.0 and 3.9 or a stock 1200 running 3.5 and a SAM running OS4.1. I'd go for the tower every time.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

"Hyperion Entertainment VOF and ACube Systems SRL are pleased to announce that they have entered into an OEM license agreement which will allow ACube to offer its customers an OEM version of Hyperion's AmigaOS 4.1 operating system for their SAM440 range of motherboards."

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    AmigaKit are showing as preordering the SAM http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=840 for £439.99 for the fastest version (mobo only) and the SAM version of 4.1 http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=839 for £99.99 total £539.98 for a MOBO and OS with no PSU or tower, no drives, no keyboard, no mouse. So if you make it into a complete system with a half decent Hard drive it's going to cost at least £700.00. Still prefer the towered 1200 option.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Buying from AmigaKit would work out almost twice the price of the € price listed on the Acube website!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    By the time it's released it's looking like the £ will that weak it'll be on about a 1:1 ratio. Besides ACube are based in Italy so they'll probably ship the boards by road and you know what Italian roads are like and i'd expect the SAM is a delicate piece of kit so they'd loose half of them in the journey through fear.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I had lots of money going spare, I would buy one.

Mostly Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Buying from AmigaKit would work out almost twice the price of the € price listed on the Acube website!
    This is simply not true- I have to reply to this. What would customers think if we charged double the recommended retail price?

Our price for SAM440ep is £439.99 INCLUDING VAT

ACubes price is EUR 465 EXCLUDING VAT which is at todays exchange rate £367 + with Italian vat @ 20%= £440 INCLUDING VAT from Acube

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi there and welcome to classicamiga. Thanks for joining in this discussion. We are all big fans of the service you are providing the Amiga community.

Now to the SAM. I was basing my prices on the current ACube promotion running for September, which is €332. I didn't however know about Italian TAX being at 20%. That would bring that price up to €398.4 which would exchange to £315 including VAT. Therefore making it about £125 more expensive through AmigaKit.com

However, don't get me wrong. It is great to see you being able to offer the SAM to UK and other countries. Keep up the great work.