Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Alien Breed rises again!

Remember a while back when an Alien Breed remake was in the works, but ended up being cancelled due to nobody wanting to publish it? Well apparently Team 17 has started production on a new Alien Breed title again, to be released sometime in 2009. No other information at this time, no platform, no anything. Not even if this is the previous project revived or an entirely new one. There's a logo though, if you follow the link. Hopefully they'll get to finish and release it this time.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is great news. Lets hope this time it does get made and released.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Could be something like Shadowgrounds then.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Shadowgrounds and its sequel were a couple of great old school shooters. More of the same would be great. However there is also scope to build on the original ideas of Alien Breed. Especially the computer system and weapons. It could be evolved easily into more than just an out and out blood fest.

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Being as it looks like it's for XBox live and the PS3 version it may be an improved version of ABII or a new AB3D.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Might be a nice change if they try to be as close to the original concept; no convulated storyline, loads of NPCs to interact with, just you, a space marine who has to take on an overrun base full of alien monstrocities.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Now, it would be quite interesting if they developed the original AB3D games for modern hardware. I know this isn't the true AB we all know and love. But at the time the Amiga just couldn't handle FPS 3D games well and so the 3D AB games did suffer from postage stanp sized screens to keep the frame rate in double figures. They could build in the ideas of the original games using a modern 3D engine like the Unreal engines that get used by so many games developers these days.

However, an updated top down shooter, sticking to the traditional Alien Breed games would appeal to all the fans of the original games. There are now after all so many ex Amiga fans getting back into gaming and discovering the retro scene via the Wii, Xbox and PS3 online networks. It would definitely be popular if made correctly.

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Team 17 has now made an announcement about this, without really saying much. It'll be called Alien Breed Evolution and will be using Unreal Engine 3. There's three screenshots that reveal it'll definitely be top-down like the old games. Also there's some mention about digital distribution which has people speculating that it'll be a Live and PSN release. CVG has the announcement and screens here.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great to see this is still in the works and hasn't been shelved.

Looking at the screenshots you can easily be mistaken for thinking they are from Space Siege. Did anyone else think the same? Very similar game concept to Alien Breed though so it was to be expected.

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    good game but theres other much better games from the past i would like remakes of or sequels