Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wedding and Honeymoon

Hi everyone.

As you will have guessed by now I'm back from my honeymoon.

We had a lovely wedding and a really enjoyable honeymoon.

As you might all remember I was a bit worried about the weather for the Wedding. It had been raining most days the week before the Saturday of the Wedding, and had been quite overcast and gloomy when not raining. However on the morning of the Wedding it was a nice clear day with blue skies and no rain clouds in sight. And it remained that way for the whole day and evening.

It was lovely and warm and it meant the Jazz band could set up outside in a marquee so that the music drifted nicely around the outside and inside of the hall we were holding the reception at.

The wedding was really nice and Annabel looked lovely. We both thought we would get quite nervous but we didn't and really enjoyed the day. The ceremony seemed to go very quickly (much faster than we thought it was going to). And the reception was really nice.

Loads of the guests apparently got quite drunk, which is always a good sign of a great time had by all!

And our Honeymoon was really nice. I had booked a local Chichester based taxi company who charged set prices for airport transport. However when the taxi arrived it was much better. A nice Mercedes and the driver was wearing a suit. (we actually wondered if it was really for us!). He had chilled bottles of water and todays news paper for us.

So the transport to and from the airport was hassle free and very easy. We also used the e-ticket automated terminals at Gatwick to check in so that was easy.

On arrival in Naples we were met by another taxi driver working for Citalia (the company we booked the holiday with), and another Mercedes, to take us to the hotel. The hotel was really nice. An old converted villa on the cliff tops of the Amalfi coast, located near Sorrento in a small suburb called Sant' Agnello.

We had been hoping to get one of the front facing rooms with a balcony but instead had a side facing room without a balcony. However we could still see the sea from the window as the hotel was situated on a corner of a cliff top.

The weather was really nice. 30 degrees C of higher every day.

We did three different excursions while we were there. The first one was quite a long day as we visited Rome. It was about a 4 hour drive each way. However it was worth it as we got to see the Colosseum, and the Vatican and Sistine Chapel. The paints of the Vatican and Sistine Chapel were worth the visit.

Another day we did the "Amalfi Drive". This is a drive that takes you right along the winding cliff hugging roads of Amalfi, visiting the small towns as we go and seeing the spectacular views down towards the sea and up the cliff and mountain sides. We stopped off at Amalfi and had a 40 minute boat trip along the coast to better see the area, and then continued by coach along the road until we reached Revelo high up. Here there were formal gardens to look at with views out over the coast. Lovely lanscape.

And the final excersion we did was to Pompeii and Herculaneum. That was well worth doing. Visting Pompeii and then Herculaneum is definitely the order to do it in as you first get to see the very large city of Pompeii and see and learn about the advanced way in while they lived. But then when you get to Herculaneum it was much better preserved, with most buildings being fully intact with two and three stories to the houses, and many with their original roof tiles (wood beams replaced). And in Herculaneum many of the wall frescos are still perfectly preserved, as is a lot of the wooden parts of the buildings such as rafters, door and window shutters.

We also ate loads of really nice Italian food. Being next to the sea we enyoyed loads of sea food dishes. Spegetti with Clams. Resotto with Seafood etc. We ate loads of Clams, Mussles, Crab, Calamari, Sword Fish, Anchovies etc...

However we did need to do some exploring. We were a little disappointed by how commercial and tourist orientated Sorrento and the surrounding area has become. We were expecting it to be quite traditional Italian, but in the centre of Sorrento and many resturants in the area the food was definitely tailored for the English and Italian tourist market. Also the shops were mostly all selling identical items obviously directly directly at the tourist. Being a region known for lemon glowing and a lemon liqueur drink specific to the region called Lemoncello, this drink was for sale everywhere in bottles of all shapes and sized. It is quite a nice, if very strong, drink. And we did buy a few small bottled to brink back for relatives.

In addition to this drink, all of the shops were also selling identical lemon related products like lemon soap, and also porcellin lemons. The region is also well known of its traditional wooden inlay and a lot of the shops were also selling wooden music boxes and jewellary boxes with inlaid marketry. However it all looked mass produced and commercial. Not locally made. So that was a little disappointing.

However after doing some exploring we discovered a small fishing village/town at the end of Sorrento down in a port called Porto Grande. This was a nice littke port/fishing village with a couple of resturants and the food there was much more what we had been expecting. Locally made pasta and fresh seafood. We had a couple of very nice meals there.

We also had meals and a few other resturants in Sant' Agnello and Sorrento, and they were all nice meals. But they all tended to contain a little more cheese that traditionally included in Italian dishes. Still very nice food though.

Their local wine isn't quite as nice though. It is OK and drinkable, but not something you would really rave about later or purposely try to seek out in shops back home.

We also explored using public transport. This was easy with the buses only costing €1 for a 60 minute ticket and most buses going every 20 minutes or so.

The Amafi coast and Sorrento is definitely a place worth visiting. However for a more traditional relaxed and less commercial location along the Amalphi coast we though Amalfi itself looked better.

We also visited Capri for a day. Taking the ferry for Sorrento it only took about 25 minutes to cross. Capri is a really nice island with lovely views and scenery. We first traveled from the main city of Capri to the smaller town of Ana-Capri. However we didn't have time to visit the Villa San Michele which was ashame. We then went back to the main city of Capri and explored the old medievil shoppong lanes. And we discovered the narrow lane leading steeply upwards. We were not sure where it was going, but after much puffing and stopping for breath we reached a small church and outside was a map showing that there was loads to see and explore further up the steep lane. However it was 6pm by that time and the last ferry was at 7pm so we couldn't go any further. For this reason I would love to return to Capri in the future to explore it more and see everything it has to offer.

So we had a lovely honeymoon and really enjoyed it. We took loads of pictures that we now need to go through and sort out. Once done I will post some online for you all to see. (editting out the naughty ones! ).

We had something nice on the plane journey back. One of the stewardesses was checking everyone was correctly seated when she suddenly asked us if we were on our honeymoon. And we got a small bottle of Champaque each! Very nice.

On arrival back in the UK the sudden shock of the UK weather with the wind and drizzle was quite bad after having spend 8 days in 30+C temps with hardly any wind and definitely no rain (it doesn't rain there for 7 months).

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Glad you and your new missus enjoyed yourselves. Can we have the dirty pictures on a private link????
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Congratulations on getting married Mr & Mrs Watts!

Sorry I didn't come, but I didn't know where it was or when. I think the silly people at Royal Mail must have lost my invite.

Sounds like you had a good time

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

We had actually decided to combine our two surnames, so we will be Mr and Mrs Stretton-Watts. Just need to find out what is needed to change it and all related documents now.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks all went fine.
    Italy looks great, i want to go there one day.
    I wish the best for you both. :-)
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you do go to Italy just remember to always use public transport and never ever try to drive anywhere yourself!

Italy is a very nice place to visit and the people are really friendly.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post

We had actually decided to combine our two surnames, so we will be Mr and Mrs Stretton-Watts. Just need to find out what is needed to change it and all related documents now.
    David James Harrison Stretton-Watts?

(Is my memory correct in remembering that your other middle name is James or am I getting you confused with someone else?)

I don't think I could be doing with having an extra name added to my name, especially when everyone already knows what your existing surname is. Must be a nightmare trying to explain it to people when they ask for your name. For me having the name Stephen Coates is bad enough when it comes to other people spelling it.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Excellent, that sounds really good. I'm glad that you had a nice wedding day and honeymoon, and of course my congratulations to you both. Italy is somewhere i have never tried, but I hear so many good things about there. One day....

Is that the same sort of limoncello that you get over here that is best straight out the freezer? I got smashed when we had loads of that after some beers once.

My wife wanted to have a double-barrelled name. I wouldn't let her

My sister get married tomorrow. I really hope the rain holds off just for a little while. A short burst of sun is all we need. Here's hoping.....

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Fingers crossed for the weather tomorrow. We will both be at weddings then (Annable's best friend Amy is getting married tomorrow too) so I also really hope the weather is good.

And yes, Lemoncello is the drink you are thinking of. In Italy they serve it in shot glasses that are frozen. It's a really strong spirit based lemon drink so I can imagine you could get easily drunk on it. The Italians tend to serve it after dinner as a refreshing end to the meal.

Congrats, sound like you had a really wonderful time! Pics will be good.

As for the name-change, nothing legal is needed. Under UK law, youjust use your new name and inform whoever needs to know of it (electric company etc). A Deed Poll is just an official document that states you have already changed your name, it's not what actually changes your name. Calling yourself with the new name does that.