Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast
    RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just 6 blades. I think its a pretty bog standard lens.

Unfortunately, it won't be too wide angle, as I'm going to use it on my EOS 500D (via an adaptor, when it arrives). The crop factor means it will be approx 45mm equivalent. I do also have a Pentax ME Super which I bought on ebay a couple of years ago (just to play around with really), so it will work fine on that as a 28mm lens.

I also have the cheap Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 lens which I bought a few years ago to use on my EOS 3000V. I enjoyed using that and it pretty much replaced the zoom lens which I used. In fact, since getting the 50mm, I hardly used the 28-135mm zoom which I had. Then since I got the digital camera, I found the 28-135 to be less useful on that due to the crop factor, so I sold it on ebay a few weeks back.

So for the digital camera, I'll probably use this manual 28mm lens most of the time (I don't mind things being manual), and then keep the 50mm and the kit 18-55mm IS as extras.

- - - Updated - - -

Harrison, just wondering, do you have a flash gun?

I'm pondering buying one as I've wanted something better than the built in flash for quite some time.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I use a Canon Speedlite 430EX II. Brilliant zoom flash and well worth the money.

The more expensive 580 isn't worth it unless you need the extra range and features, and the cheaper 320 is too limited. It's also worth using an official Canon Speedlite with a Canon DSLR because the communicate perfectly and auto set light meter readings back to the camera, as well as strobe red light in dark for focusing etc.

Definitely recommend a flashgun over the built in flash. Instantly you notice the reduction in harsh lighting, and the ability to bounce the light off walls and ceilings when inside to produce more natural, diffused lighting and less false shadow.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Yes, I use a Canon Speedlite 430EX II. Brilliant zoom flash and well worth the money.

The more expensive 580 isn't worth it unless you need the extra range and features, and the cheaper 320 is too limited. It's also worth using an official Canon Speedlite with a Canon DSLR because the communicate perfectly and auto set light meter readings back to the camera, as well as strobe red light in dark for focusing etc.

Definitely recommend a flashgun over the built in flash. Instantly you notice the reduction in harsh lighting, and the ability to bounce the light off walls and ceilings when inside to produce more natural, diffused lighting and less false shadow.

Cool.

I was pondering getting a cheap manual one just to play with. I usually find the problem with built in flash tends to be when I'm taking pictures of, for example, computers/electronics etc. In that case, there would be plenty of time to fiddle with a manual flash and to learn it. I doubt I would really take one with me anywhere unless I anticipated needing it, due to the size.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you want to take pictures of harware, if, it's not that big, the best you can do is put it in a light box. You can make one, 2 tv boxes can do it.
    Or you can buy them in ebay, not expensive. I made one myself, i put white background with 3 big bulbs and the result is this:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...72250501158835

i took 15 minutes to prepare the shoot, and with simple materials you can get great results. and my camera is not the good, it's a Nikon D70 with a Macro lens. There are much better cameras now.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree. For product/still life shots you really don't need a flash. Instead an even diffused white light is better.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Flash is a momentary light and it's hard to know what it will cover. Fixed light it's much more easy, and you can control the scene much better.
    But it works well for macros, if you want to take a photo of your friends you cannot say "hold on 15 minutes that i am going to prepare the set".

And have in mind that Lens are so important or even more then the camera itself.
    My light box, i got 2 big TV LCD empty boxes, i build a big cure, open in one face, and with 3 windows, one in each side, one on top (not in the back side) and i put transparent paper on the windows and a bulb next to it. The transparent paper let the light came in a more natural way without get to much focus in only one area of the box. And 1 on each side, will brake shadows, and you can get a space full of constant light. the bulbs, i use 2 halogen and one focus, but you can mix to get other results.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Indeed, and it's very cheap to build. You can just use a large cardboard box, a couple of desk lamps and some tracing paper or old sheet to build your first one to play around with.

As for lenses. Totally agree. The lenses are 100 times more important than the camera, although having a DSLR is a must (any model really) to allow full manual control and extra features like manual shutter release. The MP isn't important either. An 8MP image using a good lens and good setup will produce a better image than a 21MP image using a rubbish lens and bad settings.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I followed a link to the Liberal Democrats website the other day. Thought this was a rather good 404 error .

libdem404.jpg

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    At least he has a chance at a second, unlike Nick Clegg!

I really hope Labour don't get in this time.. they will push the country back into recession and undo everything achieved since they did their best to destroy the country before.