Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunship 2000

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gunship 2000

HI newbie here,

Just a bit of info required, in the Gunship 2000 manual it states that they were working on additional theatres of war, does anybody know if they actually released any.

Danny

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Danny and welcome to classicamiga.

I also remember reading in the manual that they were planning expansion packs for GunShip 2000. However I don't think they ever actually did make any.

We have no references or information on any existing and I've looked though the TOSEC dat files and nothing is listed. Does anyone else know any more about this?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    thanx for the welcome.

I used to own a c-64 and an amiga 500+, shame i skipped them when i was younger lol.
    So many regrets now.

playing the game currently and just feel the missions are outdated, shame they never did release the add ons

danny

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi merlin20674, welcome aboard, as far as I know there was no add-on released for Gunship 2000.

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been having a trawl through 'tinternet and found this on Wiki

Expansions pack

The Gunship 2000: Islands & Ice expansion pack followed on about a year later (in 1992). It added two theatres of war (Antarctica and The Philippines), as well as an innovative mission editor.

Gameplay followed closely on the heels of Gunship 2000, but added unique aspects for the two new theaters as well as a number of additional functions and new player aids, including: in-flight mission changes, air and artillery support, wind and weather (including white-outs and magnetic disturbances in Antarctica), maintenance and weapon system downtimes, improved autopilot, targeting, navigation, and the addition of a HUD mission clock.

One of the most exciting and innovative features was the mission builder. This tool enabled players to create and edit missions of their own design. Every aspect of a typical Gunship 2000 mission was available for use in the mission builder. It also provided a number of shortcut steps to enable players to quickly create new missions without having to, for example, place every defender on the map one-by-one. Players could even export a standard Gunship 2000 mission into the mission builder as a template for editing. Once completed, mission could be saved for play, editing or free exchange with other players. Very advanced for its day, the mission builder set the tone for many follow on products by enabling players to determine fun by their own standards.
    However it was only ever released on P.C. and was probably never intended for release with the Amiga versions but was in the manual as all Microprose games used the P.C. manual with an Amiga addendum card.

You can find the PC version with Islands and Ice here.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I wonder if the PC version could be converted to work with the Amiga version?

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It depends on how the expansion pack was loaded. If it was used in replacement for another disk then that would be fine but if you have to do something to load it then i don't think so. Besides the PC version used texture mapping so the graphics would be incompatable.

If you're desperate for a Helicopter game then apparantly Longbow 2 is the best ever and you can find it here.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    very helpful and thanx for the link, look forward to playing the expanded version.

Downloaded game, is exactly the same as amiga version with the add on's, unfortunatly the game crashs after setting the cockpit switches, is this because its a dos game and i'm running windows xp. Secondly sound doesn't work. except the PC speaker lol the one in the tower. lots of beeping pmsl.

any ideas?
    Last edited by merlin20674; 18th August 2008 at 17:18. Reason: Double posting - posts have been automerged

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would suggest you run a DOS emulator of virtual machine to run it. Take a look at the DOS PC emulator DOSBox, or look at one of the virtual machines such as VirtualPC from Microsoft which is completely free and lets you install DOS or Windows 98 and run old games easily.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've just had a quick check and as Harrison said it'll work fine with DosBox which can be downloaded from here.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD