Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Has Hollywood run out of ideas?

Hollywood moan and complain about the amount of 'dubiously-sourced' movies that are available to watch. Do they honestly expect us to flock to the cinema when it seems that the mojority of movies they want us to see are remakes.

The following list are some of the remakes that Hollywood have embarked upon.

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes! (2009)
    The Birds (2009)
    Convoy (2009)
    The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008)
    Escape from New York (2009)
    Fame (2009)
    Friday the 13th (2009)
    Highlander (2010)
    High Noon (2010)
    The Incredible Shrinking Man (2010)
    Metropolis (2010)
    My Fair Lady (2010)
    A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
    Oh, God! (2008)
    Piranha 3-D (2009)
    Plan 9 (2009)
    RoboCop (2010)
    The Seven Samurai (2009)
    Short Circuit (2010)
    The Stepfather (2009)
    Straw Dogs (2009)
    Sunset Boulevard (2010)
    Suspiria (2010)

Is this such a good idea, and a guaranteed way to get bums on seats in the cinema? Or is this just a cynical attempt to cash in on the fame of the originals? Or is this a result of the Writers' Strike earlier in the year?

Are there any of these movies that you are looking forward to? Do you have any ideas what they may do or how they may work?

I can just see it now.

The juggernaut tears along the M25 at 7MPH. Rubber Duck is sat behind the wheel, talking on his iPhone. "10:4 good buddy, that's a breaker. You got a smokie on your *CONNECTION TERMINATED*..."
    Hmmm, me thinks there's a lot of movies that I just discovered I want to avoid!
    This is not a signature

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hollywood ran out of creativity some time ago, why else the bastard sequels to good movies?
    They also had their run on comic book characters, that is why they are turning to computer and video games again.

As for looking forwards to any of the movies,nope, because they will probably be soul-les sequels.

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes was a spoof of B movies, perhaps there wasn't a bigger budget but it has a charm that CGI and high paid actors can't recreate.

Robocop, the original was a cynical portrayal of corporate America, now the remake will spoof that premise.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

Downloads
    Uploads
    Has Hollywood run out of ideas?
    no, they've run out of talented writers. Just like WWE and their talent show of today...*coughs*

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The film industry hasn't run out of ideas. It is just Hollywood and the US that have! America doesn't really have any original ideas full stop so how can their films? A country with hardly any history and such a mixed race of people who still state their origin as being another country cannot realistically be expected to generate originality.

However, look at films written and made in the UK, Europe or elsewhere and there is still much creativity and originality to go around. Well, that is until the US watch it and then copy it.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Honestly I think that people have seen enough remakes, and the thing that makes me truly angry, is that the US take more and more decent asian flicks and just try to remake them 1:1, which did't work in many cases so far. The only movie that was good was The Departed, which was of course remade by Scorsese.

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the worst part is when Hollywood does have an original idea it usually is so bad it wasn't worth having. And as for the endless number of teen flicks with generic anorexic american blondes falling in love generic american man with "hilarious" consequences. I noticed the writers strike didn't stop them. Mainly because whilst they haven't managed to get a room of monkeys to type Shakespear they have managed to get them to type that kind of bollocks.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Downloads
    Uploads
    If Hollywood is planning to remake The Seven Samurai (2009) or Plan 9 from Outer Space (2009), I think it's clear there isn'ta shred of creativity anymore.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Hollywood Writers Guild.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For me I just don't get why they would find the need to remake most from that list, but especially Fame (how could the improve on the original, plus the 70's setting works), Highlander (the original was brilliant), A Nightmare on Elm Street (they should not be allowed to remake this!), and Robocop? What the hell is wrong with the original version of that? They would just ruin it in a remake. But the worst much be Metropolis. How can you remake a film that was a land mark release back in its day? You can't!

And I bet they will all be staring some very skinny blond American airhead with good screaming ability.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I myself wonder how you can remake a movie like Fame, or for that matter The Seven Samurai or Metropolis.
    The article on The Seven Samurai make it clear that it was a great and influential movie, probably timeless, yet Hollywood feels that it needs to remake it, 'improve' on the original.

I honestly don't know what to say about this, has the current movie audience become so obsessed with current day actors and CGI that classic movies need to be remade so that they can see them instead of simply renting the original?

I wouldn't even call it a homage anymore.