Thread: Freaky TV

Downloads
    Uploads

Freaky TV

Is it my imagination or are adverts just getting really strange and freaky nowadays.

The strangest at the moment, imo, is the orangina advert. The octopus in particular is especially scary.

What is scarier is that I know people who would consider that to be a top quality soft pr0n clip!!!!
    This is not a signature

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This was made by Furries, there is no other explanation.

Surprising that the bear wasn't gay.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That Orangina advert is very surreal for sure. Only the French...

I'm not quite sure what the message is they are trying to convey is either. They slogan always used to be shake the bottle to release the flavour. But this latest one seems to be suggesting that if you drink enough of the stuff you will start to badly hallucinate!

There are definitely more and more very strange adverts appearing on TV these days. Many seem to have no direct relationship with the products being sold either. Look at that Sure for girls deodorant advert for another example. The one with the girls in a fairground ride similar to a haunted house, move through scenes with a guy saying "dance with daddy", and "I'm going to... READ YOUR EMAILS!". The whole advert suggests and awareness campaign for underage girls to be more careful when talking to strangers or using the Internet. But no! At the end it suddenly sticks up a screen advertising a diodorant! Mad!

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Someone has to do it:- "Well hello deer!!" and "Now thats what i call a bear behind!"
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think one reason for adverts that might not be directly related to the product is to catch your attention. They are something different, so you will watch it, and as a result of that, see the product at the end, rather than thinking the moment it comes on 'oh, it's another advert for this product' and switch it off.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    True, but I think adverts should have some connection to the actual use of a product and not be completely unrelated or conveying a message or idea that is way off the purpose of the product being sold.

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sony used to have some weird ads for the PlayStation that made you go WTF. The strangest thing is that the ads actually seemed to work.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    True, but I think adverts should have some connection to the actual use of a product and not be completely unrelated or conveying a message or idea that is way off the purpose of the product being sold.
    Back when we were doing media studies in Year 10, we had to design a television advert, draw a story board and then go and make it. We were advertising a new chocolate bar and the advert didn't have anything to do with chocolate bars at first.

Someone selling kitchens comes to the door of an old lady who decides to invite him in as she is interested in having a new kitchen. As the salesman is getting his books out to show the lady some examples she goes and gets him a cup of tea. Then they both decide that the cup of tea would go very nicely with the new chocolate bar.

We all thought the idea worked quite well. And even better, it was me who came up with the idea of the saleman selling kitchens

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    But that does work as you are showing that they try the new chocolate bar and like it, therefore advertising what the product is and does. In contrast when an advert doesn't even show anything relating to the product except for a static shot of the product at the very end then I don't think it works.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    But that does work as you are showing that they try the new chocolate bar and like it, therefore advertising what the product is and does. In contrast when an advert doesn't even show anything relating to the product except for a static shot of the product at the very end then I don't think it works.
    I know my advert is slightly different to these new ones on the TV, but it is similar because for most of the advert (maybe three quarters of it), you wouldn't think the advrt has anything to do with chocolate.